Can You Relate?

jbtsax

in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Found on the internet.

1663776560043.jpg

Tell him to join a saxophone forum and he’s lost forever.
Really, are saxophones the worst? One professional violin would, surely, keep most saxophonists in hardware for a lifetime.

Really, are saxophones the worst? One professional violin would, surely, keep most saxophonists in hardware for a lifetime.
One professional violin bow would cost far more than all my gear.
But GAS is not about how much things cost. It’s about acquisition of lots of kit.

Last edited:
I only have 2 saxophones, a violin and 7 guitars...

I did have 11 guitars at one point -my other half suggested that I get rid of some of the ones that I don't play and I got the number down to 6 but then she bought me another one as a surprise present which so back up to 7.

She has a Viola, a flute and Steinberger Upright Bass

I’m actually thinking of slimming down the collection might be letting go of a buffet sda alto a yanagisawa A880 and a Eastman 52nd st alto …… only in order to buy another tenor

I’m actually thinking of slimming down the collection might be letting go of a buffet sda alto a yanagisawa A880 and a Eastman 52nd st alto …… only in order to buy another tenor
You know it makes sense ;-)

I just had an investor WebEx call and the coach we hired spotted two of my saxes and one guitar in the back of the room and asked me to remove them for the duration of the call. My personal take was "you have a bunch of pictures on the wall right behind you that are way uglier than my instruments" but I bit my tongue and complied.

And, a professional bow for my cello ... or a Michael Brecker MPC etc ... LOL

I've been good, though, almost all of my instruments are barn finds or discarded from schools. I picked up a Boesendorfer extended baby grand piano for free years ago but it was in need of repairs.

Back to the OP, it's not a financial value proposition to find a new home for an instrument but it's an investment in your soul.

Fairly monogamous with my saxes & mouthpieces but have a guitar habit (especially effects pedals) plus assorted weird kit- anything odd I can’t resist- electric Kalimbas, jaw harps, low whistles, musical saws, got a major Jones for a Theremin etc

A few years ago we went to a performance by a jazz pianist that is quite well known in Belgium.
Het told us that just before the performance he closed the deal to buy the piano that he was using for that performance. Up untill that moment he was renting the piano, but the firm wanted to sell the piano.
Cost about as much as a house..... So the bank had a thing or two to say in the matter (giving him a loan)
But it doesn't end there.
His appartment wasn't big enough to fit that piano (a Grand Piano)....
So he had to go looking for a bigger house.
At least with saxes we don't have that problem ;-)

or...

Some of the apartments I lived in as a young man were a little tight on space for anything bigger than a soprano. ;)