Tutorials

Saxophones Can you recommend a vintage Tenor?

Stephen Howard

That's a good answer and certainly covers your point of view. Unfortunately it still doesn't give respect to the OP as possibly knowing what they want. I respect that Mauriat has lots of different models as does TJ. Have I tried them all or remember the models of all the ones I tried? No. Are they vintage horns? NO, and neither is the Ref 54. That doesn't change. This is about specifics. The OP was specific. He didn't say I'm a beginner looking for advice about what horn to buy and maybe I'd like a vintage horn. Please advise me if vintage horns are a bad idea. You have presumed that they have no idea what a vintage horn is and should open up a search including modern horns. You have justified that well, but you're still not giving respect to the OP and what they have stated as their preference.

In the oddest of ways I agree with you, as I own (and have owned) a number of horns, vintage and modern. The tenors I play regularly are modern with Vintage type sound (R&C and Borgani). There is no disrespect intended towards your knowledge or opinion, we just need to give help that's asked for. In that respect several of us have already flagged that vintage horns are worn and may require an expensive rebuild.
OK, since 'specifics' seems to be the hill you want to die on...

The OP said " I am thinking along the lines of a vintage Tenor." - so that's specifics out of the window.

You claim the OP knows what he wants. "possibly a degree of character and vintage nostalgia". Again, not specific.

And finally "What recommendations/ advice could you offer please?

Now, I don't mind going out a limb here and saying (with the utmost respect) that the OP hasn't got much of a clue about vintage horns - or indeed any other kind of horns - and certainly has zero experience other than that afforded to them by the Yani 902. The latter was stated, the former is evident from the question - which was about as vague a request as I've ever seen (no biggie, we all have to start somewhere).
So in my opinion my recommendation is to try some of these 'halfway house' horns to see whether that 'possibly' is a path they really want to go down, and if so what direction it might take.

That's my professional position, and I'll stand by it. If you feel offended by someone tipping over your hobby horse, that's your problem and you'll have to find a way to deal with it on your own time.

If the OP wants specific details about the horns I mentioned, I'm sure they'll pipe up - and I'll be more than happy to help - but I'm through playing semantics with people who, very frankly, ought to know better.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
OK, since 'specifics' seems to be the hill you want to die on...

The OP said " I am thinking along the lines of a vintage Tenor." - so that's specifics out of the window.

You claim the OP knows what he wants. "possibly a degree of character and vintage nostalgia". Again, not specific.

And finally "What recommendations/ advice could you offer please?

Now, I don't mind going out a limb here and saying (with the utmost respect) that the OP hasn't got much of a clue about vintage horns - or indeed any other kind of horns - and certainly has zero experience other than that afforded to them by the Yani 902. The latter was stated, the former is evident from the question - which was about as vague a request as I've ever seen (no biggie, we all have to start somewhere).
So in my opinion my recommendation is to try some of these 'halfway house' horns to see whether that 'possibly' is a path they really want to go down, and if so what direction it might take.

That's my professional position, and I'll stand by it. If you feel offended by someone tipping over your hobby horse, that's your problem and you'll have to find a way to deal with it on your own time.

If the OP wants specific details about the horns I mentioned, I'm sure they'll pipe up - and I'll be more than happy to help - but I'm through playing semantics with people who, very frankly, ought to know better.
You willingness to help is I'm sure genuine.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
And at the risk of driving you to complete despair and further humbuggery I'm going to add the Hanson LX to my list of try-out horns. It's a Selmer MkVI copy - and while it doesn't quite capture the true essence of the marque, it gets pretty damn close. And at £2400 it's definitely worth a look. Review will be up in the next week or so.
Speaking from one professional to another, you occasionally choose to wade into waters of being offended at things which, really, are just par for the course in Forum conversation. In instances such as this, you have a tendency to reply with swipes.
Given your reputation online, and the fact that I regard you highly (although I don't always agree with you and am willing to state that publicly)....there's no particular need for you to respond with snark, nor does it reflect particularly well, IMHO.

You willingness to help is I'm sure genuine.
I concur, I am certain it is.

But simply - the guy wants a vintage horn...there are at least two dozen great vintage horn models out there, readily available.

To suggest a current, contemporary model is a bit of a detour from the OP's inquiry, is all.

There are a lot of surprisingly good, contemporary sax models out there nowadays. For someone seeking a second contemporary horn.
It befuddles me why this is causing some sort of friction.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
There is no disrespect intended towards your knowledge or opinion, we just need to give help that's asked for. In that respect several of us have already flagged that vintage horns are worn and may require an expensive rebuild.
Precisely. It has been noted by others here that there are certain dynamics involved when purchasing a vntage horn which should be considered. Those dynamics are quite manageable, however.
The only time people get 'stung' is when they have rushed into a purchase without consideration of these factors.

The 'don't buy old, it will have problems and be costly to fix' argument is one which is....ersatz, in a sense.
Or, more specifically....it applies to some, but not to others.

Several Rx's to that situation were mentioned earlier. As the OP apparently has a decent budget (he had perhaps considered a VI at one point), acquiring a Vintage horn in good tack seems within his budgetary ability.

Redux:

Buy one that has been professionally refurbed.
Buy one which seller guarantees to be in play condition or they will take it back.
Or buy one which isn't - and set aside adequate funds to have your own tech put it into good play condition.

ellinas

The 2 great paradoxes in saxophone world ... that almost everyone agrees....
a) There's nothing you can't do with a modern horn.
b) There's no modern horn like a 10m or a Mk6.

:D

sizzzzler

Anyway back on subject.
Pooleman.
Before you go for a +50 year old sax, I’d advise a day trip to sax.co.uk with your yani to try out some mouthpieces. They are pretty decent people and wont mind you spending the day there In their playing rooms. If your going to the one near London Bridge, the pub almost next door does some lovely beer.
if you’re willing to spend between 300-500 there are some incredible mouthpieces that will transform the playability and tone of your Yani. The 10MFANs tend towards a vintage sound. Theo Wayne has a few too including the hard rubber gaia. There are others too.
i don’t seek you to deter you but if you insist on another horn, try out the saxes, both those that appeal and those that don’t, at sax.co.uk.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom