BotM January 2017 Body & Soul

@Tiberius You are really getting the hang of this now.

<snip>...but long tones really do help your sound,

<snip>If you go back and listen to your first version you will see how far you have come in a short time.

Actually, you have no idea how surprised I am with this one. when I first looked at the chord sheet it seemed very intimidating and quite beyond me, but I've been playing a bit over the past week or so and even since the last version I put up, I do feel that I'm beginning to 'understand' it a bit. Until recently don't forget, I couldn't even play in time with a backing track, and then I could only play by 'counting' where I was. My teacher could randomly point out where we were in a backing track as it played and I always thought that was like voodoo, but in this one now, I can recognise a lot of places, not just by counting.

Long tones, yeah, I read that section in the manual at least once a week :) Actually, one of the things I've been doing quite consciously with this track is to avoid the 'foghorn' sound of the lower notes. Really up until a couple of weeks ago, E or maybe D was the lowest I could play on the sax. Then when I started playing the lower notes they didn't sound coherent with the rest of the notes. But I guess practice is making those a bit better...sometimes.

I've been trying a lot of things, experimenting and finding what works, what is a bit...err...edgy, and what just doesn't work. I've discovered that if all you play is something that works, then each bit is ok, but the whole thing is a bit bland, so you need a few edgy pieces perhaps.

No new version to put up yet, but I'm really interested to see where I get to towards the end of this month, based on where I've got to so far, I think I'll almost get to the point where I can play this one :)

Come on guys and gals (where are you Jeannette?), we are half way through the month. Time to get posting even more great versions. :)

Come on guys and gals (where are you Jeannette?), we are half way through the month. Time to get posting even more great versions. :)

Oh sorry I haven't even attempted it....

My playing time has been spent working on tone and timing and yes I know doing these does that too but I spend ages on theses types of recordings and they stop me doing the other stuff.....

Jx

Ok, this version has a lot more of my own playing in it, so consequently in many ways it's probably not as good as earlier versions that stuck more rigidly to the notes. There's some experimentation of my own ideas, including C# in the A section, E natural in the next bar etc, mostly ideas I'm starting to work with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/BandS20170116.mp3

My playing time has been spent working on tone and timing and yes I know doing these does that too but I spend ages on theses types of recordings and they stop me doing the other stuff.....

I'm not a music teacher, not an experienced player, so it's not my job to tell neone what the best way to learn is...however considering it from a different angle, that of enjoyment, which I assume is a main reason why all play.

I would not argue how much your tone, or timing has improved, or whether they have improved significantly more due to the exercises you have been concentrating on, but how much enjoyment have you had out of that improvement? I would doubt it's as much as the enjoyment I've had from my improvement on this track.

After seeing the chord chart for this song in the early days, through the advancement I've made in playing this, being able to 'hear' the changes, and yes, the improvement my timing and tone has seen too. I can't tell you how much enjoyment I've had from that.

This one is for @Profusia it's played with my cheap ebay Chinese metal mouthpiece (the others are all with my Berg SMS 105/2). Literally I took the mouthpiece out the case, haven't used it for weeks, put the same Java 2.5 reed on from my Berg and played this. Hopefully it doesn't sound quite as good as my Berg, but I don't think it's far off and plays ok from Bottom C up to I think just about F2 in this example. (Anyone who says it sound better will be dropped from the xmas list :))

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/BandS20170116c.mp3

Thanks @Tiberious, I guess I now need to find a clip of you on the Berg. (Will search now) Incidentally are we talking Berg metal or rubber?

PS Found your earlier clip now - many thanks - no not a huge difference to my ears. Maybe a little more subtle and confident on the Berg (understandably).

Last edited:
Ok, tried something totally different here. I've multiplied most of it by an octave. i.e. I've stuck my thumb on. Can't play the top notes up there as I don't really know the palm keys yet, well I know D, but that' it reeli. So I just made something up :)

I need to practice the top half of the sax, it sounds a bit squeaky due to lack of use I guess. neway, have fun, feel free to criticize this one coz mostly I was just fooling around.

Oh, it's also my Fibracell as I didn't have time to wet a proper reed, so I just stuck the Fibracell on and played it. The plastic reed is a bit harsher than a proper one, maybe I'll have a go tonight.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97346875/BandS20170118.mp3

I found this lovely version by the great Paul Gonsalves, on the album "Duke Ellington's Spacemen".

Rhys

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
I wanted to get away from coffee and cream sound on tenor. so I bought a cheap chinese metal MP from Gear4Music. It has a high baffle with a Berg-like bullet shape leading to the chamber. The facing is slightly narrower than the 21\2 Java reed, the ligature is a surprisingly good single screw. The mouthpiece is small, the same as a Jody Jazz DV metal alto piece. I'm not really used to the piece yet and the recording is a single take with no post recording processing, so there are a few wobbles. This sounds to me like sawing wood? I'm not too sure that I'll be making that
much use of it.

Sounds the same piece I got Al, as you say a (modern) Berg shape (my Berg is a scoopbill, so a bit different). The baffle doesn't look as big as my Berg 2...but for some reason, it does sound more raw. But then I have taken a file to mine, just to see what effect things would have.

As for sawing wood, I have the most obnoxious mouthpiece you've ever heard. Actually just for fun, I might record something on it, but I doubt I could last more than a chorus. It's a Runyon Quantum with a spoiler (extra baffle), you would not believe how simply obnoxious it sounds, it would strip paint.

As for sawing wood, I have the most obnoxious mouthpiece you've ever heard. Actually just for fun, I might record something on it, but I doubt I could last more than a chorus. It's a Runyon Quantum with a spoiler (extra baffle), you would not believe how simply obnoxious it sounds, it would strip paint.
Strip paint? Sounds like my sort of thing.
But I already have one that I haven't played for a number of years.
So, for your delight, here's a Runyon Quantum 16 with spoiler (and a LaVoz medium):
Body and Soul tenor.mp3 - Box

I was looking at the gigs coming to the local jazz club at Wakefield Jazz club and found this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5JOgCD8xWM

Wife says I can go on my own :)
Also playing here with local band Blind Monk Trio
IMG_2918.JPG
Sadly i can't make it

So, for your delight, here's a Runyon Quantum 16 with spoiler (and a LaVoz medium):

That's reeli good Nick, way smoother than I used to get the times I tried mine. I just got it out again and it's not as bad as I remember actually, although I seem to have lost the spoiler, I know I did try it in my Berg but it's not there now, probably in one of my other mouthpieces, I'll need to have a look.

My main hate with the Quantum is actually the feel in my mouth, I guess it's just different to my usual mouthpiece, it's very 'thin'. It's certainly a lot louder than my Berg and very easy blowing. I'll have a go later with Body and Soul.

Also playing here with local band Blind Monk Trio ...
Sadly i can't make it
Week after next in Wakefield I think, I might go. I've never been to a jazz concert tbh, might be interesting. I've been to a few concerts obviously, Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rush and some modern stuff like Red Hot Chilli Peppers but never an acoustic gig in a small room..

Week after next in Wakefield I think, I might go. I've never been to a jazz concert tbh, might be interesting. I've been to a few concerts obviously, Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rush and some modern stuff like Red Hot Chilli Peppers but never an acoustic gig in a small room..

Modern stuff? Chilli Peppers? Man they've been around for 30 odd years.

What's On in the North West of England

Modern stuff? Chilli Peppers? Man they've been around for 30 odd years.

I think they said everything they have to say about 30 years ago neway :) not saying the later stuff is bad, but it mostly sounds like tracks that didn't make it onto Californication.

I tried to listen to more modern stuff, but I find it mostly over produced blandness, with very few exceptions that somehow seep to slip through (Jonathan Antoine).

Most modern jazz sounds more like and orchestral warm-up to me. My loss I'm sure, but I have tried to 'get into it' a few times. e.g. last week at the Wakefield jazz club was a girl who has a very good press, Trish Clowes, but I'm afraid listening to her music on youtube does nothing for me. I'll see if I can make time to go see this Seamas Blake, maybe it will work.

**I did see a street sax player a few years actually, walking round Bath. Mr Woodnote, he was good, sort of jazz rap/hip hop if that's a category?

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom