• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner recording body and soul

Hi @saxn00b445,

I agree with @mrpeebee. Your general tenor sax 'tone' sounded fine to me. There are only a couple of 'comments/suggestions for improvement' that I (as an complete amateur!) can make:
- some kind of 'backing track' (with rhythm) might have helped in 'grounding' your sax solo in a a backing rhythm
- for many of your notes you played wonderfully 'rounded off' notes; the best were the ones that ended with a touch of vibrato!; but some of you notes seemed to end shorter and more abruptly than I would have expected. Possibly due to shortness of breath

I didn't know the 'body and soul' tune but I have listened to couple of sax versions on YouTube. Your version is one of the slowest that I found. Which IMHO translates into 'longer notes' and 'longer (more) breath' Yes, you can expand the duration of your breath. But (just IMHO), you could also speed up the tempo slightly to make sure that (for now!) you don't run out breath. Or - perhaps much easier- mark in when you need to to take 'short' and 'long' breaths

Hope this helps,

Mike
 
@saxn00b445 ....i echo some of comments above, your intonation is pretty good, and your tonality is nice and full and pretty consistent across all notes.

I do agree, articulation is a bit inconsistent but, for a beginner, this is addressable with the suggestions already noted.

Suggestion....practice it to a metronome. Or a backing track. Whichever you feel more comfortable with. Some beginners get stressed at using one or the other, so either will help...
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,279
Messages
576,577
Members
8,090
Latest member
nelius
Back
Top Bottom