Beginner Best way to learn to read music? (asking for a friend)

saxyjt

This happens more easily when young and taking lessons from an adult. For the adult player, you've all chimed in with excellent suggestions, and again, many thanks!
Perhaps adults should consider taking lessons from youngsters! Just teach them a lesson. :confused:

Terrytoolpath

Subscriber
I,m sure Smartmusic is a great program but I have several tutor books with their associated cd,s,, each and every one of them cover reading music, my favourite is Ollie Weston’s “Learn to Play Sax”,
I see a teacher weekly and have started attending a recent new members saxophone group, Right or wrong a feel another “tutor” would just cause an overload.

Last edited:

Terrytoolpath

Subscriber
Do you have perfect pitch? (I think it must be diabolical for Bb instrument players to be hearing a major second dissonance in their heads the whole time they’re reading)
Unlike @Veggie Dave :p , I was going to suggest that fear might help - clearly you know what you should do - so maybe joining a group that’s reading from charts would provide a bit of … er, stimulus. Good luck.

Unlike @Veggie Dave :p , I was going to suggest that fear might help.
I've never played in front of anyone and not had fear. :oops:

A little fear can be very healthy (although I'd like to have a bit less, please. :D A couple of gigs ago I was changing saxes and couldn't stop my hands from shaking.)

But the pressure I was referring to was when you find something hard to do and you start to compare yourself to someone else - usually someone who's been playing for years ... and is called Bird, Coltrane etc. :D - and then that pressure eats away at your confidence and enjoyment. Before you know it, the sax hasn't been touched in months but you know the name of every character in Hollyoaks. o_O

.... the pressure I was referring to was when you find something hard to do and you start to compare yourself to someone else - usually someone who's been playing for years ... and is called Bird, Coltrane etc. :D...-
Oh I've no idea how to formulate such a thought - like comparing oneself to the North Sea, or the colour red - but for those that encounter that corrosive monster, I suggest saying, "well, I'm still breathing... so I'm going to count that as a plus." :p

Top Bottom