support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Bauhaus-WALSTEIN Tenor Saxophone

at $20 the extra yamaha is a no-brainer - you can always re-sell for pretty much the same price here in the UK. Or you can have a 'cheap' moutphiece to travel with or lend to your friend(s) if any of them pick up the Tenor & you don't like the 5c.

With respect to the Rubber Link - i'm not sure this is still the case (it certainly was the case when I bought my Links), but the Link mouthpieces can have a lot of variation from one piece to another. If you want a nice modern link, ideally you should play MANY mouthpieces of the same model & facing - and pick one you like. Their consistency was miles off from what Yamaha achieve. Some of them are great, but some are not.

Despite hand-picking my rubber link, I couldn't really get along with it & have just traded it to a forum member - who says he likes it a lot. On the other hand, I still have my metal link which was my first MP on the Tenor & i'm still happy with it. YMMV.

at $20 the extra yamaha is a no-brainer - you can always re-sell for pretty much the same price here in the UK. Or you can have a 'cheap' moutphiece to travel with or lend to your friend(s) if any of them pick up the Tenor & you don't like the 5c.

With respect to the Rubber Link - i'm not sure this is still the case (it certainly was the case when I bought my Links), but the Link mouthpieces can have a lot of variation from one piece to another. If you want a nice modern link, ideally you should play MANY mouthpieces of the same model & facing - and pick one you like. Their consistency was miles off from what Yamaha achieve. Some of them are great, but some are not.

Despite hand-picking my rubber link, I couldn't really get along with it & have just traded it to a forum member - who says he likes it a lot. On the other hand, I still have my metal link which was my first MP on the Tenor & i'm still happy with it. YMMV.

Hi,;}I agree with YMNV HR Links can be very inconsistent but before you despair and throw it in the back of the drawer consider having it refaced:welldone Lawrie Waldron based in the midlands is a master at this he has done loads of work for me and several of my clients/pupils. In fact i sold a refaced HR Link to a customer who wanted to use it as a back up and he now uses it as his main piece checkout my testimonials on my website.:sax:
birdman
www.studiosaxophonres.co.uk

Here are some of the refaced pieces ;
Alto; Lakey,Brillhart,Jody Jazz,Freddie Gregory,HR Link.
Tenor; Meyer,Selmer jazz metal, Selmer HR,HR Link,Jody Jazz.

That's interesting, I would have thought link would be consistent, just because they are so well regarded

That's interesting, I would have thought link would be consistent, just because they are so well regarded

there are two aspects to this (primarily), i think:

1. A lot of the 'Otto Link' aura was created when many of the saxophone greats played their Links - which was a long time ago. From what I know, the piece were then hand finished & generally of excellent quality (and designs were also a bit different). Then the consistency was good.

Many more modern players still hunt after these Link pieces - so if they mention they play an Otto Link, it's not necessarily a 'current/new' one. But the prices for vintage links are very high.

2. Some of the newer links are also good - but, as said above, you'll need to try many to find a gem. My guess is that many guys who like a modern Link have gone through this process. Those that are unhappy, either pass them on, or have them re-faced/adjusted, as Birdman suggests.

You might also consider a Rico Royal Graftonite MP, they can be had for under £20 + postage.

I got my tenor today! I was a bit stupid and orderd the sax and a link mp without trying them, despite all your advice. I know, I'm an idiot. Generally like the tone of the sax but having some problems (I've staretd a new thread). I like the link mp, the tone is nice. I don't have the breath support for it at the moment, but that's ok because I got a yamaha 4cm off ebay today also which I'll use until I'm strong enough for the link. Well the sax is pretty, apart from the engraving, so at least it'll make a nice ornament if I don't sort my problems out :(

I got my tenor today! I was a bit stupid and orderd the sax and a link mp without trying them, despite all your advice. I know, I'm an idiot. Generally like the tone of the sax but having some problems (I've staretd a new thread). I like the link mp, the tone is nice. I don't have the breath support for it at the moment, but that's ok because I got a yamaha 4cm off ebay today also which I'll use until I'm strong enough for the link. Well the sax is pretty, apart from the engraving, so at least it'll make a nice ornament if I don't sort my problems out :(

Here at Studio Saxophones we offer the BW with or without the Yamaha mouthpiece upgrade:welldone but usually advise adult beginners to start with a Yam 5c and be patient:shocked:) plenty of time to get a Link when your chops is ready.
birdman

www.studiosaxophones.co.uk

advice is free if you had to pay for it you would probably take:))) it

Bauhaus-Walstein

Hello, I have just joined Cafe Saxophone and was reading your views on the "Bauhaus-Walstein" Tenor Sax. I have been thinking about getting one and I have read some reviews and they all seem to be very favourable. Are you still happy with it after several months of ownership? They look beautiful in Bronze and not too expensive. I was also wondering the best place to buy one from. I live on the Isle of Skye and although there are 2 music shops in Inverness, (115 miles away) neither of them sell Bauhaus-Walstein sax's. So it looks like it will have to be bought over the internet. As for your neck problems, I have the same difficulty due to an accident at work. I bought a harness and it is great. No neck ache or discomfort. I thought I'd have to give up the sax until I discovered the harness. It is a bit of a fiddle but worth it. Cheers. Alex Hamilton.

I have had my BW tenor for over a year now and I am still very happy with it. I am just beginning to get the best out of it, it has great variety of tone and dynamics.

So it looks like it will have to be bought over the internet.

If you decide on the BW, I would say that you can be reasonably confident about buying it over the internet. Studio Saxophones and Woodwind and Brass are both great to deal with, and should be fine. In fact, I bought mine from Woodwind and Brass and was very happy with the service. I think Allegro also sell them, but I can't speak for them as I've never done business with them.

Jon

I got mine online and it came the next day. I don't have a lot to compare with but I love mine. The bronze looks sexy as hell. I have a Yam 5c mp with a #2 reed. I still have the problem of getting from middle C to D. But that will come in time. I can truley say that I love my BW.
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Hi there all,
nearly a year after starting I'm contemplating an up grade to my tenor,I'm currently using a carmichael which is supposed to be a rebranded selmer prelude with a yamaha 4c mouth piece.
Despite getting my current tenor very cheaply I'm still not able to justify megabucks the B-W sound good but are there only 3 dealers? -I think this time around I definitely want to try before I buy!
I live in Cornwall but am hoping to drop in to to sax.co.uk in a couple of weeks and maybe John Packer when I have to go to Taunton in Oct -Any suggestions gratefully received!

Ha !
what a lovely thought -a tour of saxophone shops!
the reality is I'm having a few days in the big smoke with the family and am hoping for an hour in tin pan alley:)))

Not that it is of any help but there is a 4th BW dealer, in Liverpool!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

theres another thread in the making - virtual tour of the best saxophone shops ;@)

could be handy for begginers mind!;}

Back
Top Bottom