All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Saxophones Bauhaus Walstein Tenors - Which colour is "better"?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
:)

I've been re-investigating the BW tenors, having overcome the same middle G "warble" on my Carmichael I experienced when testing the BWs at Windblowers.

From your experience, is there any difference between the Phosphor Bronze model and the Gold Lacquer model, sound wise? Which colour would you go for, and why?

As you go up (or down!?) in price, which other Tenor compares in to the BW in all round playability and tone?
In other words, how much more would you need to pay to get a "better" Tenor sax?
Has anyone actually played a Jericho J6 Tenor yet, as the J6 Alto impressed me on pass-around?

Thanks for any comments.

:cheers:

Pyrografix

Senile Member
I personally think that the silver M2 is best, but that's just because that's what I play!

I have also owned/played the TS-PD improved action phosphor bronze model which was excellent (only changed as an M2 came along on the 2nd hand market and hubby offered to acquire it for my birthday!) I think all BW saxes are excellent, and the colour makes no difference whatsoever, other than for aesthetic appeal. Others may disagree:-the 'earth' series, top of the range model, has come on the market more recently and may be better/different??

Just for info, I've owned/played my M2 for a little over 2 years, and my tutor, who compared it favourably against his Selmer when I got it, feels that only now am I starting to get the best out of the beastie. All these things take time/patience to develop!

Daithi

:)

Has anyone actually played a Jericho J6 Tenor yet, as the J6 Alto impressed me on pass-around?

:cheers:

Yes me - I have the standard Gold Lacquer model BUT at my beginner level to be honest its more blowing than playing as such. Very easy to blow - beautiful tone - absolutely love it. Chalk and cheese to my gear4music nickel Alto honker which I have bored everybody about on other threads. (Yes I know Colin the bear loves his - but as the Mammy used to say "speak as you find") ;)

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Yes me - I have the standard Gold Lacquer model BUT at my beginner level to be honest its more blowing than playing as such. Very easy to blow - beautiful tone - absolutely love it. Chalk and cheese to my gear4music nickel Alto honker which I have bored everybody about on other threads. (Yes I know Colin the bear loves his - but as the Mammy used to say "speak as you find") ;)

Is that a J6 MkII model? I can't see a Gold Lacquer one listed?: http://www.studentmusicsupplies.com/tenor-saxophone-15-c.asp

Are you sure yours isn't the MkII's predecessor?

:confused:

Daithi

Is that a J6 MkII model? I can't see a Gold Lacquer one listed?: http://www.studentmusicsupplies.com/tenor-saxophone-15-c.asp

Are you sure yours isn't the MkII's predecessor?

:confused:

Its the current model - I bought it new from them only a couple of months ago. Apparently the Tenor's and Alto's have been "selling like hot cakes recently" and I am still awaiting a reply to an enquiry from a couple of weeks ago about stocks as I was thinking of buying an Alto.

I think the reason you cant see the Gold Lacquer Tenor is because they only have the more expensive versions in stock with the fancy cases which also bump up the prices. Hope this helps.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Its the current model - I bought it new from them only a couple of months ago. Apparently the Tenor's and Alto's have been "selling like hot cakes recently" and I am still awaiting a reply to an enquiry from a couple of weeks ago about stocks as I was thinking of buying an Alto.

I think the reason you cant see the Gold Lacquer Tenor is because they only have the more expensive versions in stock with the fancy cases which also bump up the prices. Hope this helps.

I've been waiting a couple of months for news on a potential "Raw" J6 Tenor that I discussed with Robbie and Becky seemed interested in it and more so a Raw Robbie Tribute Trumpet. I can't complain at all as I think she's doing wonders holding it all together after Robbie's sad demise. Good luck to her. :thumb:

I honestly don't think the color or finish on a horn makes any difference, I have played quite a few horns over the years,
And I have to say they all sounded pretty much the same regardless of what plate or laquer they were covered with

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
For me- bronze horns have a slightly differnet character to brass ones- huskier at low volumes and more aggressive if pushed (both of which appeal to me, sound wise - I wouldn't say they're 'better' but they suit my style better). The M2 model is a completely different beast- Taiwanese production and using a completley differnrt body to the 'regular' bauhaus models....

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
I have a bronze BW Tenor, with brass keys....the AI PD model I think.
It's the only BW I've ever played, and the only Tenor I've ever played.

I recently took it to our sax tech for a check-up and he was really enthusiastic about it, saying it has wonderful sub-tones and was really well built.

So I just keep playing it, as my 3rd sax behind my Bari and Alto, it's a lovely and relatively cheap instrument.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Forget your choice so if you want the best get a Yamaha or a Borgani or a Keilwerth !!!!!!!!!! >:) any colour,there all great :))):))):))):))):)))>:)

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom