PPT mouthpieces

An Audience with Andy Sheppard

Lupifaro

Locality
Wales
My local jazz club Black Mountain Jazz have managed with help from Studio Saxophones and sponsorship from P Mauriat saxophones to secure "An Audience with Andy Sheppard" on Sunday 8th August 12 noon till 1.30pm. Andy is playing at Brecon Jazz and will stop off enroute to give a talk about his life/playing experiences etc and of course will demonstrate his skills on his tenor saxophone.Admission is £4 on the door includes raffle all proceeds to BMJ. to reserve your ticket contact www.black-mountain-jazz.org.uk

Too far for me to travel, bugga!! I have met Andy at one of these events, even had dinner with him afterwards. he is a genuine guy, top bloke, and a great player. Don't miss it if you can get there, it'll be well worth it! Now if I can conjure up an excuse to get to Brecon Jazz as well it'd be worth the travel.

Hang on, wife's sister lives in Hereford, now that's not that far. Maybe she can visit while....... you get the message. Maybe I'll try to make it after all! Watch this space. How far are you from Hereford?

Hi Birdman
I have just joined and saw your post
I went to see an Andy Sheppard Masterclass at Foyles Bookshop in London sponsored by SaxUK/Mauriat 2 weeks ago
Eventually he opened his case( 25minutes later) he low and behold pulled out an old Mark VI.
You could have heard a pin drop along with a communal intake of breath (especially from the promoters!!!)
I only went along to hear what a Mauriat could do in the hands of an expert.
I left after an hour so I don't know if they ran over the road to Denmark Street and opened up the shop to get some.
He still is one of the great players though.

I have just spoken to the new Uk mauriat distributors who were present at this event and they are completely aghast with your observation.Andy played his P Mauriat 66R UL which is a first series horn and is completely raw brass the fact that it looked and sounded like a Mk6 is exactly why Andy plays one, and full credit to Mauriat for producing a fantastic horn

If I am mistaken then I apologise profusely.Don't get me wrong.
The sound was still fantastic but the crook as far as I could see had an S on it.
All the adverts show Andy Sheppard with the Gold Plated version.

I wasn't there but met Andy at Johnny Myalls where he played his old 66RUL. He was awesome and on the back of tht I bought one. Must say my 66RUL looks very very similar to Karen (Sharp) my teacher's Selmer Balanced Action tenor - almost 2 peas in a pod and so from a slight distance they could maybe be confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi saxodent, No offence taken an easy mistake as his UL is really bare/raw brass,at the last count he had 3 mauriats a Gold Plated and a DK.

Andy Sheppard at Foyles

Phill here from sax.co.uk. Just been told about the comment that Andy was using a MK6 at the Foyles demo. Well, I was there, he didn't - it was an unlacquered P.Mauriat PMXT-66RUL and there was no instance of "you could have heard a pin drop...etc"

I suppose it just speaks volumes for just how good the Mauriat is.

It's an easy mistake to make from any distance other than standing on his toes.

I saw Andy about 6 months ago in Southampton University and was less than 20 feet away most of the time. I squinted and made all sorts of funny head movements for an hour before deciding it was a Mauriat not a VI.

Why would he take a old beat up MK6 when he got 3 AWESOME 66R's in his stock,Mauriat rule and Andy is still my main man along side Jan Garbarek.Both are there own man with there own sound and not like so many Brecker and Coltrane clones out there.

Quick update...........An Audience with Andy Sheppard was the highlight of my saxophone year,Andy was on top form talking and playing for well over his alloted 1.5 hour session.
Giving an insight to his daily warm up routine, reed selection and preperation advice on circular breathing........then giving an absolutely awesome demonstration on the later. He then played a beautiful ballad on his mauriat 66RUL tenor " I want to talk about you" melody,improv and then explaining his use of the chord sequence via triads and patterns.
If you get a chance to see him take it,your playing will be enriched beyond measure Andy is very approachable, very humble.
For pictures go to my website follow the link peterscaddanjazz myspace

Quick update...........An Audience with Andy Sheppard was the highlight of my saxophone year,Andy was on top form talking and playing for well over his alloted 1.5 hour session.
Giving an insight to his daily warm up routine, reed selection and preperation advice on circular breathing........then giving an absolutely awesome demonstration on the later. He then played a beautiful ballad on his mauriat 66RUL tenor " I want to talk about you" melody,improv and then explaining his use of the chord sequence via triads and patterns.
If you get a chance to see him take it,your playing will be enriched beyond measure Andy is very approachable, very humble.
For pictures go to my website follow the link peterscaddanjazz myspace
Sick as a parrot now,wish i had been there.Had plans of going to his london class but family trouble stopped me.Deffo try and go to his next 1.

Back
Top Bottom