support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Alto Saxophone mouthpiece hunt…

Chris98

... well it's been at least a few months!

I’ve got a Vandoren Java A35 and an A45 but I struggle to feel a difference between them! At the moment I’m playing an E. Rousseau NC4 as it’s easier to play but lacks some of the character of the A35. Yeap the grass is always greener! If I could combine the A35 with the NC4 I’d be a happy player… I think!

I’ve put the A45 up for sale but no-one seems interested so I’m wondering if it might be worth seeing if it can be re-faced into something more suitable for me, I’ve heard about mouthpieces being widened but can they be closed?

The second and perhaps more appealing idea is to buy something new, I’ve long had my eye on the Mouthpiece Café’s N.Y. Cafe Bros, but I’m also curious about Edward Pillinger’s pieces, from his website:

NYA Classic, New York 1950s style be-bop mouthpiece.
HB Vibrant, clean, well centred tone with excellent intonation. Dynamic and versatile mouthpiece with excellent projection. Excels 'on mike' and for recording.
'Soloist' Alto Classic, early French style (domed throat).
And the new: LA Alto Medium Chamber, New York Meyer style alternative to basic NYA. Currently recommended with the new 6*M facing.

I think the Meyer is probably the direction I’ll go in but I’ve not got an idea of how a Soloist compares, I’d be grateful if anyone could describe the differences for me.

For what I play and where I play my priority for the piece is not projection or to be able to cut through, what I’m looking for is a flexible piece with good intonation and a good balanced tone with definition. I’m also thinking of a smaller tip opening, in the region of a Meyer 5 or 6.

I’d be grateful to hear from anyone who has played any of the Pillinger alto pieces, or anyone with advice or suggestions.

Best wishes,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mouthpiece Café’s N.Y. Cafe Bros #6 has ended my search (for now :) ) , after trying S80, VanD A27, Lambo 6M, RPC 80B and a JJDV!!!
(Possibly if I now went back to the Lamberson or RPC I might like 'em more than I did then ;) )

Chris, does this mean your gonna be sat in front of me in the band now?

Hi Pete,

I haven't spoken to Jo yet but I was going to offer to move over to alto as I think we have a couple of new tenor players coming. I have to admit I'd not thought this through, it'd not occurred to me that I would be sat in front of you!!! I'd prefer to stay on tenor.

See you tomorrow,

Chris

The Mouthpiece Café’s N.Y. Cafe Bros #6 has ended my search (for now :) ) , after trying S80, VanD A27, Lambo 6M, RPC 80B and a JJDV!!!
(Possibly if I now went back to the Lamberson or RPC I might like 'em more than I did then ;) )

Hi Roger, How the tenor going?

I got the feeling you'd found your alto piece once the JJDV went up for sale. The Mouthpiece Café’s N.Y. Cafe Bros is certainly appealing and very much on the list.

I've got a Pillinger LA6*M. It's great. Nice and free blowing, very versatile and very well made. I found Ed to be a great bloke to deal with aswell.

Hi GJ77,

The LA6*M is high on my list but I wonder if it might be too open for me, I think it's around the same size as the A35 I'm using at the moment and part of me feels I need to come down a bit. I think a chat with Mr Pillinger in the New Year would be worth while.

I use a Jody Jazz NY - really smooth tone and very controllable. Worth a try out.
Steve

Thanks Steve, I've not tried the JJNY on the alto, I have on the tenor and was grateful that it didn't do anything for me as I'd have struggled with the price. I have to admit I'd not considered it for the alto, but again feel the price is a little steep.

Thank you all for your help,

Chris

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom