SYOS

Saxophones Alto day !!

Adrian63

So : let's give this a blow...
I will do some shots but don't have an alto stand so finding decent position is not easy ; plus the light.....it's so shiny !!
Two necks : one darker I believe and yeah ;
@MMM : has done some great shots to be found in the media section...
Later folks and thanks for the suggestions ; look forward to listening :)

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
So folks : some alto recommendations would be good !!
I'm not into smooth jazz : though I have a lot of respect for Sanborn ; Dave Koz and the like its just not my cup of tea ( or gin )...
Art Pepper I can't get enough of ; a lyrical genius : be bop is great for a few hours but yeah...any thoughts on who I should be listening to ?
I guess Desmond is a must !!
As much as anything it will be nice to give this trapped nerve a rest . The seller has been kind enough to throw in a decent mpc ; so as soon as it comes I'm good to go !!
I spent most of lockdown trying to assimilate bits of Earl Bostic... hell of a player, plenty to pick up from him... though I did find the slow downer app on my phone was needed for a good chunk of his stuff

Adrian63

So finally and for Clivey: a reveiw :
I'm not an alto player so probably not the best person to be doing this ; but I can get around the horn just fine so am happy to share my thoughts.
Thanks to @MMM : apart from a little tarnish the horn was fine and tight from top to bottom and the added bonus of a decent mpc made all the difference.
Probably the shortest review in that it is exactly what it claims to be : a Tai made student model .
Some nice touches in the King style three ring strap hook and the big rh thumb support. I'm a bit old school and high F# and G don't mean a great deal. The two necks ? I honestly couldn't tell any difference but handy if you should lose one I guess. As to the character of the horn again I'm not an alto player but it played uniformly top to bottom with a nice hard sound helped by again a good mpc.
I got this alto for a very fair price and am happy with that . In only slightly used condition I paid in my opinion exactly what it is worth.
I doubt very much that I will be spending a great deal of time with it but yeah...a very fair buy !!

thomsax

So finally and for Clivey: a reveiw :
I'm not an alto player so probably not the best person to be doing this ; but I can get around the horn just fine so am happy to share my thoughts.
Thanks to @MMM : apart from a little tarnish the horn was fine and tight from top to bottom and the added bonus of a decent mpc made all the difference.
Probably the shortest review in that it is exactly what it claims to be : a Tai made student model .
Some nice touches in the King style three ring strap hook and the big rh thumb support. I'm a bit old school and high F# and G don't mean a great deal. The two necks ? I honestly couldn't tell any difference but handy if you should lose one I guess. As to the character of the horn again I'm not an alto player but it played uniformly top to bottom with a nice hard sound helped by again a good mpc.
I got this alto for a very fair price and am happy with that . In only slightly used condition I paid in my opinion exactly what it is worth.
I doubt very much that I will be spending a great deal of time with it but yeah...a very fair buy !!
I wouldn't it's "a Tai made student model". I don't know any student models that are ranged to high G.

Top Bottom