Tutorials

Saxophones Alto day !!

Adrian63

Morning folks :
Just sitting in the sunshine having coffee and waiting on the delivery of a new alto ; should be here soon . Yeah ; I'm looking forward to it and will load up some shots this afternoon..
Have a great day... :)

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
You're lucky to have some sunshine. Look forward to seeing the pictures :)

DavidUK

This is the Orpheo?

I'm hoping you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've never touched one, but I have a good feeling. And coming from @MMM here it should be in good fettle.

Adrian63

So folks : some alto recommendations would be good !!
I'm not into smooth jazz : though I have a lot of respect for Sanborn ; Dave Koz and the like its just not my cup of tea ( or gin )...
Art Pepper I can't get enough of ; a lyrical genius : be bop is great for a few hours but yeah...any thoughts on who I should be listening to ?
I guess Desmond is a must !!
As much as anything it will be nice to give this trapped nerve a rest . The seller has been kind enough to throw in a decent mpc ; so as soon as it comes I'm good to go !!

Alexandra

Subscriber
Apart from the obvious (Bird, Cannonball, Woods, Stitt etc), I like a bit of Sonny Criss, especially this album:
20201015_110520.jpg

Also Jim Snidero.
Snidero-Jim-Waves-of-Calm.jpg

I could go on!!
Love Art Pepper too, but I find myself studying Cannonball the most. Genius.
Also a massive Rabbit fan. Johnny Hodges made the alto sing. THE man for note bends and vibrato.
I did go on...

Adrian63

@MMM : The man himself !!
Thankyou for your time an patience man : should be here sometime today according to the tracking... :)
Cannonball of course !! " work song : mercy etc ; great tunes...
I've got a feeling I'm going to enjoy this...more coffee...

Jimmymack

Cannonball and Hodges were my favourites back when I played alto and I still love them, but Earl Bostick had his moments. Don’t forget Ornette and for something a bit more out there and amazing playing there’s John Zorn.

Adrian63

Thanks Nigel : I think a lot of alto players would cite Hodges as a favourite . There is a great clip I think on you tube of somebody taking apart and cleaning his alto : think it was some kind of Vito : the octave pip key was a snake head ; I think with emerald eyes...fancy engraving : nice enough if that is your thing...

brianr

Whilst it’s great to listen to everything, I think at some point you have to narrow things down according to favourites, and kind if immerse yourself in that .

For example, it’s great to like hodges, Desmond, Sanborn and Zorn, but they are so different in approach to sound, that if you try to emulate all of them, you get nowhere. Your mind bec9mes mush!

I see you are getting a lakey. If you want hodges, Desmond or even cannonball, the lakey isnt ideal.

The lakey will give you that brighter/ edgier vibe.

Now, folks can sound like the person they listen to, but certain mouthpieces take you in a certain direction.

I think for a tenor player going to alto, my best advice would be hone in on the sound concept/style that appeals most and get into that.

To a certain extent you get the sound that you hear in your head. The trick is to put the right sound for you in to your head

Top Bottom