support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Advice needed on scratches

Pauline

Café Supporter
Hi all,
well I've gone and scratched my lovely Selmer tenor!
I put in on the stand not realising the bottom bracket had folded up and the metal holding the bracket scratched it as I was putting the crook back on (it takes a bit of wiggling).:(

I know it's not life and death, but I'm still a bit upset about it. :crying:

I know I will have to live with it, but is there anything that is completely safe that I can rub on it to stop any tarnish? I'm thinking something like wax maybe??

I'm not sure if it's gone down to the brass or not but I would like to minimise the damage.

thanks guys,
yours sadly,
Pauline

A large glass of wine. In you, not the sax.

Try not to worry about it. By the time you've had the sax for a few years, it'll have picked up a few marks. It's just a consequence of actually using the thing. A few years ago I splashed out on an expensive Yanagisawa. I love it so much I play it all the time, and now, particularly on the crook, it has a few marks from handling it, hanging my sling on it, and so on. I don't worry about it - I bought the horn to play, and it's as good as new in that area.

Try not to worry about it.

I agree with jonf, as long as there's no real damage to the sax. I've done the same with guitars in the past and initially been rather upset, but after a while the little dings become part of it. My wife and I were in better shape when we got married, too... :)

If the scratches are superficial and do not go completely through the lacquer down to the brass they can sometimes be removed with a fine car polish. Use a clean cloth over your finger and test a small area rubbing in a circular motion.

If the scratches are deep you can protect the area with Carnauba Wax which dries and polishes to a hard shiny covering.

I got a few scratches recently because my hand slipping while sanding down my cork. It was a shame, but its battle scars from use and maintenance. It won't be the last. I am sure the tips here will help, but try not to let it bother you if you can still tell something was there.

Thanks guys for all your useful ideas and support! :thumb:

I'm getting used to the scratches now. Having looked at them numerous times I think they are not as bad as I thought. Certainly not as bad as they might have been. Think I am mainly upset with myself for being a bit careless with the stand.
As you say, it's part of owning and playing an instrument.

What really bothered me was that my sax is a lovely pale gold, almost lemony, and if the scratches went brown or something it wouldn't look good! I don't know if they have gone down to the brass or not but I think there is a fair chance they haven't. I'll try the wax option anyway as a precaution. (thanks jbtsax)

Just a thought Pauline, you have a small scratch on a beautiful Selmer Tenor. Is there anyway you could have a tiny area of engraving done to include the scratch as part of the engraving. Then you would have a unique Selmer. Wish i had one, best of luck. Rob.

Pauline, get a bottle of Farecla G10 finishing compound from your local motor factor, absolutely amazing stuff, we use it to buff up our old vans prior to selling on, makes them look like new, i also used it to revamp a badly scratched i-phone again it came up like new....not cheap stuff but you wont be disappointed.

I remember wearing a denim shirt once whilst practicing on my Selmer Super Action Series II Tenor. The shirt had metal fasteners which scratched the body at the bottom quite badly. Like you I was so disappointed. In the end I got it plated in silver. Looked really cool and wasn't that expensive either.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom