Photo contest

Mouthpieces Advice needed about an Alto mouthpiece

Alice

Psychedelic
Yamaha YAS-280 - Alto Saxophone - Sax.co.uk

Hello :) The above link is the model of saxophone that I have and i'm thoroughly enjoying learning to play it. I've been having one lesson a week since the end of June and practicing for an hour every day.
The first major influences on my desire to play were the soft, (seemingly) laid back sounds of Getz and Brubeck and my question is.... What can I realistically expect from my student Alto with regard the sound? Obviously i'm going to give the best that I can and I know that i'm steadily improving, but is there a limit to its capabilities? Is there another mouthpiece for example which is a better quality or is the one it comes with perfectly all right?
My teacher has played an identical sax and of course he makes it sound beautiful, but he does use a different mouthpiece. I wondered if it would make a difference or if it just all boils down to experience and continued practice.

@Nick Wyver is probably right, my tutor despairs with me trying different mouthpieces. But it is fun and they do make a difference. I would wait a bit longer though before getting drawn in to changing. :)

Jx

A mouthpiece is like a pair of shoes. It needs to fit your chops. Till you develop a steady embouchure stick with trainers. When you can run, find something comfy.

It seems to be the distilled wisdom of this place that the saxophone itself has little input to the sound. You make the sound. Your kit lets you.

Once your tone production skills are well established, then it is time to start thinking about changing mouthpieces. Here are a few guidelines:
  • You can hold a well controlled steady tone on any note in all registers for 30 seconds or longer
  • You can play all of the notes from low Bb to high F with good pitch and control at all dynamic levels
  • You can play a given note starting piano crescendo to forte and back keeping the tone and pitch steady

The other side to changing is that at the moment you don't really know what you want or need. Stan Getz and Paul Desmond have very different sounds, produced by playing in different ways. Both can be done on your current mouthpiece, but you need to learn how to do it.

Once your tone production skills are well established, then it is time to start thinking about changing mouthpieces. Here are a few guidelines:
  • You can hold a well controlled steady tone on any note in all registers for 30 seconds or longer
  • You can play all of the notes from low Bb to high F with good pitch and control at all dynamic levels
  • You can play a given note starting piano crescendo to forte and back keeping the tone and pitch steady
Thank you very much for that advice @jbtsax I shall add that to my practice routine! Can you recommend any music at a beginner's level which is composed with many long notes?

The other side to changing is that at the moment you don't really know what you want or need. Stan Getz and Paul Desmond have very different sounds, produced by playing in different ways. Both can be done on your current mouthpiece, but you need to learn how to do it.
Yes that's very true, I don't know what I need. Thank you very much for that advice, that's good to know that at least it is achievable :)

Alice, do long notes as part of your practice. Gradually get longer as your breath control and embouchure improve. As you do so, try to think about the sound you want to make and try to listen to it as well.
Get Pete's Taming the Saxophone vol 3 which has much good stuff about tone production and enough exercises to keep returning to and dipping into probably for ever.

Stick with yamaha's stock mouthpiece. Its so good that you can ve sure that most problems are caused because of you and not the setup.

And try not to blame your setup for any problems you have as a beginner. Trust your tutor and the power if exercise.

If you have a yamaha you have a pretty good setup. Its so good that many many pros gig with yamahas.

And dont forget long tones. Looooong tones.

Hi Alice,
The advice on this thread is pretty consistent and born out of personal experiences that a new mouthpiece isn't the answer to your ultimate goal. I nearly didn't bother chiming in as I largely agree.
You also half answer your own questions when you go on to say that your tutor sounds wonderful on an identical sax.
What I mean is, it the experience and practise that makes a player sound like they do and the kit they do it on is secondary. Getz was Getz always, Desmond was Desmond always.
You missed stating a point what mouthpiece you tutor played and that will have more effect than the sax its self.

So, I offer a slightly different thought.
Though I think the yamaha piece is good quality and perfectly alright in respect of not presenting you any problems.
It will have a limit to its capabilities. All mouthpieces I have come across do but there are many pieces that wont break the bank that can offer you more (just as soon as you are ready).

I stuck with my yamaha stock piece for a long time (and that may be the difference here) but one day I tried a Java A45 (not jumbo java..no need for that). It added so many more dimensions to the sound, giving more brain tickling options for me to enjoy and exploit. I have changed again since to a Meyer 6 which raised the bar once more.
These 2 pieces are not hugely expensive, especially used ones and in a sensible lay They may well do more for you already.

So I respect the advice you have been given and have sung the praises of yamaha pieces value for money myself to this point but equally, I don't think you'd be sorry to move on.
The tricky bit is knowing what lay will help you the most. A45 is a good place to be but maybe a meyer 5 as opposed to a 6????
Seek advice from your tutor on that.

Good luck what ever you do and keep having fun :thumb:.

Oh yes - I agree with everybody and am very grateful for your advice and knowledge!
When I purchased my sax it was after discussion with my tutor and he recommended that one to me. I understood that it was the best quality of its kind and that was all I needed to hear in that respect. I had saved the money so it wasn't an issue :) My tutor hasn't really gone into any depth with the subject of mouthpieces at this stage except to say that the one I have is absolutely fine and i'll do well with it. He's pleased with my progress and my sound now which is improving by the day and so my question was just out of curiosity, to know whether or not this model has its limitations as far as performance/sound quality goes. I'm not going to be purchasing another sax for a long time, not until i've mastered this to the best of my ability. One day I would like to find an affordable Tenor Sax..... but for now i'm perfectly happy with what I have. I just want to give it my all and thanks to all of you, I am confident that I can!

Back
Top Bottom