supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

M/Pieces - Ligs Advice needed on mouthpiece

Supersonic

I have a Earlham Soprano and am looking for a new mouthpiece. I'm steering more towards the Jazz side of things rather than classical - and I also love the Kenny G sound. Can anyone recommend what mouthpiece I should look for. It's all so confusing!
Thanks

saxnik

I have a Earlham Soprano and am looking for a new mouthpiece. I'm steering more towards the Jazz side of things rather than classical - and I also love the Kenny G sound. Can anyone recommend what mouthpiece I should look for. It's all so confusing!
Thanks
I use an Otto Link (ebonite) Tone Master on my student-model sop (Arbiter Pro-Sound). It's wide enough for jazz playing, by which I mean it suits my style of playing, and has enough play in it to mostly make up for the sax's slightly suspect intonation.

It was recommended to me by the nice chap at Allegro in Oxford - he knows a lot about mouthpieces...

Hope that's helped,

Nick

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
For me- Vandoren V16, Yanagisawa ebonite, Meyer, Berg Larsen, Jody Jazz HR, or Otto Link all work well. To be honest there isn't a huge amount to choose between them- yes, they've all got slightly different characters but not enough to really get hung up on. One thing I have noticed is that Rovner- leather-belt style seem to damp down the tone noticably- metal ligs give a livelier response.... Personal set up for my 'I want to sound like jan garbarek' rig.... yani ebonite, standard two screw metal lig and LaVoz medium reeds.. couldn't improve on that.

half diminished

Thanks
I still haven't got around to doing anything with the sop :(

Same advice as ever though, get to a shop and try some out. As for the 'lift music' sound you wish to achieve :w00t:, just play in a lift, or get yourself some reverb kit. Not that many Kenny G fans on here I'm afraid. :)))

Tommy Ng

Thanks
Hi

Kenny G uses Dukoff D-8 metal mouthpiece and Hemke 2.5 reeds.

tom

jonf

I also like Yanagisawa ebonite on sop, and Yanagisawa metal too. Current fave, though, is a Bari Gold metal 7. Just works.

half diminished

Hi

Kenny G uses Dukoff D-8 metal mouthpiece and Hemke 2.5 reeds.

tom
Seriously though :w00t: whatever you do instrument/mp or reed wise you're more likely to sound like you than Kenny G or anyone else for that matter.

I've been working hard on my articulation/sound based on Sonny Rollins. Still sound just like me though......:)

Mind you, dunno what reed/mp setup he uses. :D

Tommy Ng

Seriously though :w00t: whatever you do instrument/mp or reed wise you're more likely to sound like you than Kenny G or anyone else for that matter.

I've been working hard on my articulation/sound based on Sonny Rollins. Still sound just like me though......:)

Mind you, dunno what reed/mp setup he uses. :D
Sonny uses Berg Larsen 130/2 and LaVoz medium. You probably need to learn a bit of dancing as well .. :D

Top Bottom