support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Absolute passaround?

I seem to remember that Yani9 is smaller than Link9. I might be wrong, though.

it is , more like an 8 , I`d like a narrower gap piece to try but not as narrow as a 6 . I`m even thinking of trying a Selmer Metal, F or G I`d guess (the Sharkbite is a copy of this and sounds surprisingly good with a RJS3M on, that is a 6) but they`re hard to find in those tip sizes and the excellent report on the Absolutes got me thinking

Just finished with the resin bari. Rather took me by surprise. Looking at it I saw the stepped baffle and thought I was in for a hard time. We'll I was, but it was only to find a lig. Tenor lig was too big. Much too big. Eventually found that the alto HR lig is a perfect fit. Yes, the piece is very very slim and this carries right through to the beak. It's really odd having a bari round your neck, and a tenor sized beak in your mouth. Certainly very comfortable to play.

I used the same reed as I'm using on the PPT 7 - a Rico Royal 2.5. Thought it might be a tad soft as the pass around is a 6. Wrong. It worked perfectly.

So how does it play? Stunning... Response is very good, not quite as sensitive to embouchure as the PPT, but easier to control. Sound is smooth, luscious.

What really struck me is how little the tone changes between the registers. One thing I don't like about baris is the strangled tone you tend to get in the upper register. One minute you're grumbling away like an active volcano, the next it's an almost effeminate wheeze. The difference is small on this. The downside is that the Absolute is quieter and more refined than either type of PPT, even the Signature. But not dull and characterless like the Bari gold or the Rico Graftonite. Or coarse and buzzy like the metallite.

This, along with the superb lig just went on my must have list. It's going to be very difficult to let this one go.

Last edited:
How is the passaround going? Im still on the waiting list and eager to try them.
Thou shalt be included!
They are currently being scrutinized by the Alamanni branch of the forum.

But the real good news, is that Mr. Absolute can make ligatures for mouthpieces with funny sizes.
PPT comes to mind, together with my new Early Babbitt copy.
He just needs the mouthpiece to get the measure right. In case of PPT, probably just one tenor and one bari, to start.

Is the article of any interest?

Only the one in the passaround is available. It should be too hard for you.
Fancy joining the list, whenever it is your turn?

But the real good news, is that Mr. Absolute can make ligatures for mouthpieces with funny sizes.
He just needs the mouthpiece to get the measure right. In case of PPT, probably just one tenor and one bari, to start.

The tenor HR lig already fits the PPT - but may not fit the HR ones, I think they're slimmer.
There are two different sizes of Bari PPT. I can give you the measurements - or Pete can.

@aldevis Yes, I'd like to give it a try. Considering that it is the most beautifull looking metal mpc I've seen so far, I'd hate my self if i atleast didn't give it a go!

The alto lig fits the ppt 5*

Jx

It's the one with rubber, I think both fitted but I didn't want to scratch the mouthpiece

Jx

Checked, the one with tubing around it is the one I meant. It fits.

Time for a final update from me. I had a good blow of the two alto pieces last night. Similar comments to what I've said about the other pieces, so instead of commenting especially about the altos, I'll summarise, in no particular order.

Workmanship is superb.
The pieces are easy to play, very responsible, flexible.
The ligs are superb. I also did some comparisons with cloth ligs and the Marc Jean I have for the tenor PPT. I never expected to be saying this, but there's a marked difference in sound between the Absolute ligs and the cloth ones. More overtones, less muted. Very little difference, if any, between the Absolute and the Marc Jean. The ligs fit well, grip the reed well and also tighten quickly and positively compared to a cloth or two screw.
Caps are really well made, strong. Some problems with fit and whether you can have cap and lig on the mouthpiece at the same time. But it may be that I had the wrong caps on the mouthpieces.
The resin pieces are warm, neutral, will probably work well for beginners, but have the flexibility to be used at top level. For me the material is better than hard rubber. They're great for smooth, smoochy ballade playing. Also clean and pure for classical.
The SS pieces are louder, brighter and much more aggressive. They'll strip paint if you want - or play quietly and smoothly. Despite being paint strippers, they remain easy to control, reasonably flexible. The finish is superb and if you want bling with an aggressive, dirty sound it's all there.
Prices are very good for a mouthpiece or lig of this quality.

I didn't try different reeds, just used what I was using on my other mouthpieces. I guess experimenting may bring some improvements. But even without that they were great.

Highly recommended, but ymmv.

They have arrived. Kev delivered them in person to make shure they will arrive safely. Quite a valueable box it is with 7 mouthpieces and the ligs included. First impression is they are very, very well made. Impressive workmanship.

As it was rather late I only had a very brief go at the alto mouthpieces just to hear what they sound like. The steel 7* has loads of projection and a solid bottom end with a blue Vandoren 2. For the resin 6 the Vandoren jazz 3 was not a good match and I want to test other reeds before commenting. At 10:15 pm I had to stop before our neighbors would decide to invite the local police force to a free concert.

That will be a weekend full of fun. Albeit, 7 mouthpieces will take some time to evaluate.

Alphorn

Back
Top Bottom