• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Tech/maintenance Abalone key pearls

They were nylon. If they were mop, I would have left them in. I prefer MOP as well, but I thought the stainless would add a neat contrast to the silver key work. I will look into getting them sand blasted. Good idea Dr G.
Bead blasting may be another alternative worth checking.

Have you seen black pearl? That could give you the desired different look, yet maintain the magical properties of nacre.
 
Bead blasting may be another alternative worth checking.

Have you seen black pearl? That could give you the desired different look, yet maintain the magical properties of nacre.
I have seen black pearl, and I think it's pretty. Unfortunately all the black pearl styles that I've seen are just plastic. Trying to find a legit supplier that doesn't cost a fortune it another hurdle.
 
I wonder if waxing then would make a difference ? Have any car wax ? Pledge ?
I use Pledge on my brass instruments and it's made a difference for cleaning and giving them that "lemon fresh" smell. I did try the Pledge on the pearls, and it didn't work the way I had hoped. But, all the pearls have been removed (grinded down as only one popped out). I like the look of the Cannonball stones, but don't like the feel as much as pearl. Music Medic offers aluminum pearls in cobalt blue and black, and stainless steel in silver finish. Not sure I'd like the blue. Especially when it comes to resale. Probably wouldn't be able to sell it with blue pearls.
 
Not sure I'd like the blue. Especially when it comes to resale. Probably wouldn't be able to sell it with blue pearls.
Would it be a detriment if say upon selling, you mention that you had it recently serviced and pearls replaced with custom ones? (Just thinking, however, not familiar if those would degrade resale value if you weren't planning to keep it. Pro'lly safe than sorry.)
Surprisingly, my 575 Allegro has MOP key pearls. So when I purchased my 62III, it was obvious that Yamaha cut some corners.
Just curious but what were some of those cost cuts? Been entertaining a possible 62 in my future.
 
I use Pledge on my brass instruments and it's made a difference for cleaning and giving them that "lemon fresh" smell. I did try the Pledge on the pearls, and it didn't work the way I had hoped.
Thanks for your reply. This qualifies they weren’t dirty even from one session.
I have a stupid question. Define sticky. Like your fingers couldn’t slide on the touches and became irritated, or tacky by lifting ?
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,278
Messages
576,491
Members
8,087
Latest member
saxn00b445
Back
Top Bottom