• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Tech/maintenance Abalone key pearls

I wonder if you could order pearls from Yamaha - maybe the Custom or purple label 62 pearls? I've ordered silver plated screws for the keyguards directly from Yamaha in the past.
But I have discovered that using metric screws from my motherboard and computer case screw jar can add a bit of variety and character to my saxes. (Of course none of mine come close to a VI, 62 or Ishimori.) 😉
 
My comment to his rude comment was rude. Fine. Seems like I get ridiculed for my choices from you no matter where I post. I get it, you’re a materials guy and you know best. I’ll stop my participation in these forums.
Meh, it doesn’t take a scientist to have touched or observed a anodized finish, so please set aside this anti-science stuff. Do what you want to do.

Forums are full of opinions and we come from a variety of experiences. FWIW, there’s a great book called “Criticism in Your Life - What to Do with It”. The bottom line is to weigh the criticism you perceive, then determine whether it’s credible, and then choose to use it or ignore it. Beyond that, don’t take it personally or make it personal. You have a choice in how you feel about and respond to things.

And I am sincere in my hope that you find a horn that meets your needs and makes your musical experience joyful.

G’luck and be well.
 
Surely it can't be difficult to buy oyster MOP? The standard stuff that's been used for generations? Oysters surely aren't an endangered species. I see Stewart Macdonald sells a 1" x 2" piece for $24. Music Medic sells them in a variety of diameters for what seems to be under $10 apiece.
 
But I have discovered that using metric screws from my motherboard and computer case screw jar can add a bit of variety and character to my saxes. (Of course none of mine come close to a VI, 62 or Ishimori.) 😉
hehe... I've been a Mac user since the Mac IIsi in 1990. No leftover screws.


Upgrades used to be easy peasy.
Pop open the case, undo a clip or two, replace memory or hard drive, button it up and done.

Nowadays - it's not worth the effort.

I think it'd be fun to build a Frankensax steampunk beast but getting parts from various makers to play well together would be just too much for my limited skillset
 
I think metal touches are a huge mistake
The original Adolph Sax horns had metal touches. So I'm sure they work fine. Just have to deal with tarnish an all of that. I imagine if you polish them periodically you're changing the amount of friction, hence the feel.

I totally understand the desire for the best feel and a bit of bling. That's totally fine. But as far as being able to play a horn or not, any touches will work. The most awful experience though is when a pearl falls out mid-performance. Feels terrible.
 
One horn I absolutely love the look of has metal key touches. The Selmer 130th Anniversary alto.

Stole this pic from Get-A-Sax

Screenshot 2026-10-06 at 10.00.13 AM.webp
 
My Series III has that awesome Steam Punk look and am very happy with it. Ishimori gold plated thumb rest button and gold Forza thumb hook, copper JB risers, black pads and stainless resonators. I have a stripped Red Copper Selmer III neck on it and all the horn brass is different colours / tones of oxidation. Pearls are worn to the cups after 26+ years of hard playing. Is an non engraved European horn from Switzerland.

I will take Squealers advise and go stainless touches on it.
 
My Series III has that awesome Steam Punk look and am very happy with it. Ishimori gold plated thumb rest button and gold Forza thumb hook, copper JB risers, black pads and stainless resonators. I have a stripped Red Copper Selmer III neck on it and all the horn brass is different colours / tones of oxidation. Pearls are worn to the cups after 26+ years of hard playing. Is an non engraved European horn from Switzerland.

I will take Squealers advise and go stainless touches on it.
I’m disappointed if that’s @PigSquealer ‘s path to tricking out a horn. Why not titanium touches and drilled-out key cups to reduce inertial mass?
 
So who offerers Titanium touches! They have got be costly as hard to work we are talking bespoke.
Happy with stainless which was one of my original thoughts. Surprised squealer suggested it and not lead! LOL

What are your thoughts on the anodised aluminium would the texture wear off?
 
What are your thoughts on the anodised aluminium would the texture wear off?
I think a few clues can be obtained from well used saxes (and clarinets, flutes, etc.) with nickel plated keys. Some keys will have the plating eroded where most frequently touched areas exposes the underlying brass.

Over time and use I imagine that the anodised surface will develop similar wear patterns. The advantage to these key inlays is that they can be easily replaced if desired.
 
So who offerers Titanium touches! They have got be costly as hard to work we are talking bespoke.
Happy with stainless which was one of my original thoughts. Surprised squealer suggested it and not lead! LOL

What are your thoughts on the anodised aluminium would the texture wear off?
Lead🤣 Would be interesting to see what Mr. Divitt costs are on titanium custom set.
Hard anodized aluminum should last if done well. Still I’d like to hear @Dr G opinion on this.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,282
Messages
576,689
Members
8,091
Latest member
Connfetto
Back
Top Bottom