support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

15/07/2013-"Why Don't You Do Right "

I got them in an email. Am I the mail man? PM me your email and I'll forward them.

Any other takers? No drop box thingummy so just pm me your email and I'll forward them

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Thomas, Good first attempt. Did you play by ear or read the chord chart??

Chris..

Thanks Chris. My strategy is to play through a few times by ear and get something recorded as a personal starting benchmark. So that's all this was really. Next step is to analyse the chord changes and try to improve what I can do with that bit of science/theory behind it. Hopefully will do that over the next few days or weeks.

Trouble is so far I'm falling down on the 2nd part because when I try to play with chord changes in mind my melodic playing goes right out of the window and I get disheartened. I still haven't really done How High or MFV properly with chord changes. Struggling to make it happen.

Time constraints are getting worse too. The band I practice with has its first gig on Thursday (and I'm still struggling with some of the parts). I'm trying to pick up a new piece or two without dots each week for open mics on Sunday nights, I'm playing at a relative's wedding in about 4 weeks and don't have any tunes sorted for that yet, and there's the Manchester Single Reed Day and JazzSmart coming up at the end of this month and I'm considering another week long residential jazz course at the end of August. Oh and I haven't even looked at the BOTM yet this month. I seriously need to give up work!

I seriously need to give up work!

Become a "Pro" sax player:mrcool:thumb: Joking aside a good ear will take you a long way Thomas and it sounds like yours is quite well tuned in is you are in front of the game.. A little theory to back it up and you have it made.

Had a quick play through this latest tune and this is what came out http://snd.sc/15icG6z lots of room for better versions..

Chris..

Thanks Chris. My strategy is to play through a few times by ear and get something recorded as a personal starting benchmark. So that's all this was really. Next step is to analyse the chord changes and try to improve what I can do with that bit of science/theory behind it. Hopefully will do that over the next few days or weeks.

Trouble is so far I'm falling down on the 2nd part because when I try to play with chord changes in mind my melodic playing goes right out of the window and I get disheartened. I still haven't really done How High or MFV properly with chord changes. Struggling to make it happen.

Time constraints are getting worse too. The band I practice with has its first gig on Thursday (and I'm still struggling with some of the parts). I'm trying to pick up a new piece or two without dots each week for open mics on Sunday nights, I'm playing at a relative's wedding in about 4 weeks and don't have any tunes sorted for that yet, and there's the Manchester Single Reed Day and JazzSmart coming up at the end of this month and I'm considering another week long residential jazz course at the end of August. Oh and I haven't even looked at the BOTM yet this month. I seriously need to give up work!

I think that you're well on the way thomas, I always like your interpretations. You have a very full schedule, I'm kind on envious that you have so much sax things going on. I'd love to attend a residential sax course, where are they held?

Become a "Pro" sax player:mrcool:thumb: Joking aside a good ear will take you a long way Thomas and it sounds like yours is quite well tuned in is you are in front of the game.. A little theory to back it up and you have it made.

Had a quick play through this latest tune and this is what came out http://snd.sc/15icG6z lots of room for better versions..

Chris..

I wish!! Thanks. Taking up sax was the worst thing I ever did. I hate my day job more than ever now!!

Got the wrong trousers on today which effectively means I've forgotten my ear phones so will try to have a listen later at home. Hmmm band practice tonight - ok as soon as I get chance.

I think that you're well on the way thomas, I always like your interpretations. You have a very full schedule, I'm kind on envious that you have so much sax things going on. I'd love to attend a residential sax course, where are they held?

Thanks Di. They are all over the place. I've only done one so far which was 3 days (2.5 really) in Oxfordshire in March. But the people also run them in other places including Spain and I think one near Prague. They are more classical focussed than jazz though, in fact not jazz at all. I went on a half day improvising workshop and the guy that did that runs a residential one in France from time to time I think. JazzSmart is 3 days in Hampshire. The one at the end of August is 6/7 days in Kent and as far as I can tell will be various courses/tutors for various instruments. All jazz focussed. There's an improvisation long weekend in October somewhere too (England) I might consider. If I can't improvise after this lot I'd better give up! lol Oh there's also JazzSchool Uk in Rushden Northants to consider and probably loads more I haven't found yet.