support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

15/07/2013-"Why Don't You Do Right "

Wailing Howling at the Moon Colin the Bear....yoweee wowee Colin...nice one...don't think I want to learn how to create those effects....the wife wouldn't stand for it!

My interest in Why don't You Do Right is peaking and will therefore PM you!

I'm off for a couple of days mid winter Break in the Marlborough Sounds, I'll take me saxes for a blow over the waters.

Still not posted anything on How high the Moon or My funny Valentine...I'm sort of doing the work, just not recording due to Chordal problems sounding....way off! I need a 48 hour day...its winter and I'm building a Sauna room....wonder how the Saxes will go in there!

@Thomas, playing the chords I hope???
@Colin, great version, would like you to give some insight as to what you played away from the melody line, chord tones etc. It might help one or two of us get our heads round Improv..
@Jimu, thanks for the comment..

Chris

@Thomas, playing the chords I hope???
@Colin, great version, would like you to give some insight as to what you played away from the melody line, chord tones etc. It might help one or two of us get our heads round Improv..
@Jimu, thanks for the comment..

Chris

Sorry Chris, I wasn't meaning to imply any dissonance. Far from it - just wondered if you'd done the analysis right off the bat. I've still yet to do it and when I had a quick glance no obvious progressions jumped out at me (but I am somewhat "slow" in respect of chords and progressions thereof) so not sure what I might come up with yet.

Hahahaha, I didn't think you where Thomas. As for progressions, it is just a minor Blues in Dmin, with a couple of clever subs/alterations. Bb7 is the secondary Dom to give it its posh name. It's just the 4 chord but instead of being Maj7 it's Dom7. The A7 is just the 3 chord Am7 but it's now Dom7, Gm7 is the ii Chord. Might not have explained by the book, so someone might want to jump in, but that's about it.

Sometimes chord progressions just follow correct root motion and the quality is altered, m7 chords become V7 chords and maj7 become V7. but the root motion would still follow 1625 or 251 or even 3625 where the 3 replaces the 1 chord. The trick is to work out if the tune is really changing Key or just using alt/subbed chords and where they might come from. Once again might not be by the book so if someone wants to jump in and expand feel free..

Chris..

You know me. I just play and blow the thing. It seems very simple. No elephant traps. No subtle chords or harmonies to trample over. Because of that you can charge in and do what you like. I think I was just expanding the melody and running round in the root key. (is that a term?) A bit of blues scale dirties it up.

To my mind this should be a starter. The moon song should be waaaaay down the road lol

It's all a little quiet round here, the tune is a minor blues with a couple of interesting subs. The melody I think only uses 5 notes..

Chris..

It has hasn't it!? What's happened to all of our intrepid Gary Burtonites? We don't want the thread to end up like a village post office! :w00t: I still hope to have another go at the this one properly (i.e. considering the harmonies) when time permits and also eagerly look forward to whatever the next one may be.

Chris, this isn't as active as we all thought it would be after the course. Perhaps we should select the tunes in a similar way to BoTM rather than follow the other group. Nothing wrong with the tunes already selected though. I've just had a look at their forum and it doesn't look very active either :(

Maybe the outbreak of summer sent us all scurrying off to enjoy the great outdoors and it will pick up in autumn/winter. I could be talking out of my ass (as usual) though :)

I'm definitely up for it! I can't give any time to it until after I get the wedding "gig" out of the way though. Panicking over being totally unprepared for that and its only 11 days away now! I look forward to getting stuck into this one straight after that.

Chris, this isn't as active as we all thought it would be after the course. Perhaps we should select the tunes in a similar way to BoTM rather than follow the other group. Nothing wrong with the tunes already selected though. I've just had a look at their forum and it doesn't look very active either :(

Maybe the outbreak of summer sent us all scurrying off to enjoy the great outdoors and it will pick up in autumn/winter. I could be talking out of my ass (as usual) though :)

I haven't been involved in this thread despite doing the course, but I think you have a point Sue. I find the ECM thread good for getting the creative juices flowing, and not having to think of the changes, and there is always BOTM for impro and playing a tune with changes anyway.

The choice of tunes for this project has not been inspiring in my opinion. The difficult moon song and then this knockabout blues. The ballad of the month thread throws up some fascinating tunes and forgotten or overlooked gems. Perhaps we should go our own way and pick our own tunes for improvising over. There's a wealth of experience and a broad church of musical taste on this forum that we could draw from.

Indeed, the tunes I think were chosen without thought, on the Improv group.

Personally, I still think this is a great and useful thread, and (dare I say it) I find the Ballads a little ... um ... boring :)shocked:) although "Reflections" was gorgeous.

Having said that, I have been away for a bit .... and who knew we might actually have a summer this year .... I'll probably record Funny Valentine in the next couple of days, and will start looking at this, and also the Night in Tunisia .... which has been on my "to do" list for a while.

So I'm still in!

The BotM thread is very different to this one. It's an exercise in slow playing.

I'd forgotten the Valentine song on this one. An excellent choice. Simple melody, simple harmony and lots of room for imrov.

A Night in Tunisia? Sheesh! I can't even hear that fast. Not for beginners methinks lol

Hi, just thought i might add something here, a good selection for a tune, in my opinion, is "beautiful love", it is not too slow to send you to sleep and is not too fast to scare you , just sits nicely in the middle (but can sound well played fast and slow equally) the melody is quite straight forward too. I used to let my students, beginner to advanced, loose on this one and it was good across the spectrum of ability ranges...
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys if we are going to go our own way, and if we are going to use Ian's idea for a tune. Would someone like to start anew thread, I'll try and sort out a couple of backings one steady and one a little quicker. Also are we going to allocate someone to pick each tune??

Chris..

Hi all,
Sorry I've been a bit busy this last couple of weeks and haven't paid any attention to this thread.
I agree with Sue, would it be better if we selected the tunes. It may be good to have our improv whizz kids choose, perhaps starting with easy improv pieces and gradually introducing more difficult ones?

It may be good to have our improv whizz kids choose, perhaps starting with easy improv pieces and gradually introducing more difficult ones?
Good idea, as it is for a learning process...
There are many great tunes you can play at 1st which are also very good for learning improvisation, i used to teach a number of these starting easier and gradually building in difficulty but always after each one i would ask my students to evaluate and point out what they were doing in their own improvisation to underline and a way for me to see if they had learned.
Ian

Good idea, as it is for a learning process...
There are many great tunes you can play at 1st which are also very good for learning improvisation, i used to teach a number of these starting easier and gradually building in difficulty but always after each one i would ask my students to evaluate and point out what they were doing in their own improvisation to underline and a way for me to see if they had learned.
Ian

I think part of the reason this thread has failed to an extent is that it needs improvisers like yourself to be involved, a bunch of players at different technical standards, that have completed the Gary Burton course is sort of like the blind leading the blind.