• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner impro you never can tell - accidental

Here is a Rhythm page for "You Never Can Tell" or "C'est La Vie". It's in concert C but you can fill the bars with your own letters, words, notes ..... . A rhytm page is for the rhytm section. More or less a two chord song.
ynctrhythm.JPG
 
Chuck Berry's "You Never Can Tell" have been covered by many musicians. When I learn a song I listen to other versions as well. Here is a version with James Montgomery. A c 9 min version with harmoica-, trumpet-, tenorsax- and guitar solos. They are not playing it as Chuck Berry did. A long harmonica intro so the song starts around 2:20.
View: https://youtu.be/yQaOH1eoxZE
 
Just noticed in a track I'm working on, courtesy accidental. Common with blues where the 3rd is flattened (b7 of chord IV) then comes back to the major. View attachment 17852

NB: I'll edit the title a bit and move this to music theory...
When you get stuff like this - nearly always a flat 3 and 7 you realise that traditional key sigs are ill equipped to deal with it
 
Tbf @Pete Effamy i think i am too..
Well, I'm not sure that the feeling of inadequacy ever goes away for as long as you care about your playing. Try watching a few Brecker interviews - he's not exactly joyous about his playing.
 
Well, I'm not sure that the feeling of inadequacy ever goes away for as long as you care about your playing. Try watching a few Brecker interviews - he's not exactly joyous about his playing.

I retired recently and I've been working hard on clarinet. I've been quite pleased to find that putting in the hours practicing still works but I just had one of those "Why do I even bother?" moments when I heard this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIl0UyXZcUs
 
Ach dung! :confused:
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I'm very dangerous. Doh!
When you get stuff like this - nearly always a flat 3 and 7 you realise that traditional key sigs are ill equipped to deal with it
Maybe because it's a classical written system trying to express a traditional oral system. I'm still trying to hear the blues.
 
Ach dung! :confused:
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I'm very dangerous. Doh!

Maybe because it's a classical written system trying to express a traditional oral system. I'm still trying to hear the blues.
Yes, They obviously thought that no one would ever “break” the rules so consistently without expecting them to be in another key
 
Just checked out the live version - that's my kind've gig - let's do it in G . . . .

Must remember it - never played it before - thanks for the tip . . . .
It's a entertaining video clip, no doubt about that. But I still don't understand why The Boss & E Street are playing covers on request? The E Street hornsection is very good.
 
It's a entertaining video clip, no doubt about that. But I still don't understand why The Boss & E Street are playing covers on request? The E Street hornsection is very good.
its a great cover not musically the thing with the boss is that he was a peoples player great originals but you have to admit this one got the crowd going.... I think that a cover shows the quality of the horn section just to be able to pull it out the bag like that is something I could aspire to....many years from now....
 
Just checked out the live version - that's my kind've gig - let's do it in G . . . .

Must remember it - never played it before - thanks for the tip . . . .
hmm, i'm a beginner might have set my stall high...if you do play it could you download it here so I can see how it should be done....all the great players here could do a line or 2 each and id see how it should be done..😉...put the boss to shame i bet....
 
You can play the meoldy on all songs. But if you listen to Chuck Berry's versions of C'est La Vie he sing them differnt. He is telling a story. But this a a good song to learn and read music. Most of the time the hornplayers are playing the riff/hornlines. Bb instrument (ts and maybe trp) + baritone sax. Mybe they get a solo as well. But this a piano song writen by a guitarist.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,195
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom