SYOS

Accidentals in C.

old git

Tremendous Bore
In the key of C major, should accidentals be shewn, nice old fashioned spelling, as sharps, flats or is it optional?

Would the fact that it is the low A# aka Bb on a tenor saxophone score matter? Know I'd prefer the more familiar Bb.

ArtyLady

Hmmm....I don't know regarding accidentals in C - but I do know that if you are in a # or a b key then you would have everything as # or b not a mixture :) sorry that wasn't much help was it!

Justin Chune

I seem to remember a rule about sharps ascending, and flats descending. The rule might relate to something else of course.

Jim.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
Found on the net;-

As a general rule, an accidental that leads up to a natural note is written as a sharp note-and an accidental that leads down to a natural note is written as a fiat note.

C major may/should then contain both, as Jim says!

OP
old git

old git

Tremendous Bore
Many thanks. As luck has it, did it right. Well there has to be an exception to the rule. ;}

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Also very often it is a blue note. In which case the ascending/descending rule may not apply. So in C, it's more likely to be Bb than A#.

Apert from the the ascending/descending works very well in chromatic passages.

But often it will be to do with the functional harmony, so if the chord is an E chord in C (as you get with bar two of Sitting on the Dock of the Bay), a note would be G# not Ab as it is the 3rd note of an E major chord (E F# G#, not E F# Ab)

OP
old git

old git

Tremendous Bore
Thanks Pete, never realised that and now feel as stupid as I did before. :(

However as it it a Bb7, Bb would seem best.
Thanks again everyone.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom