Yet another transposition question

C.ward

As said above to transpose from Concert pitch to an Eb instrument, you add 3 sharps. then shift notes accordingly, but the key signature always should have 3 extra sharps.

But I look at it this way - if my instrument is an Eb pitched instrument, when I play a written C, it sounds Eb, so I write out the scale of C major and call this "written Sax in Eb", then immediately underneath it, I write out the scale of Eb major and call this "sound like, Concert pitch"

then I use this "ready reckoner" as my crib for transposing from C to Eb.

I use this method for any transposing instrument.
You might need to check a little more as to exactly where you need to pitch your new note (eg is it a D under the stave or a D on the 4th line) but it should be fairly self- obvious anyway.
Great! Thank you so much

AndyWhiteford

Re. the black notes on a keyboard, I’d always think the flat names , since all five have commonly used major scales/ keys built on the roots: Db, Eb, Gb, Ab and Bb.
Also learn the two major keys/scales which you’ll commonly see the sharp-keyed enharmonic equivalents, C# and F#.
( D#, G# and A# are most often seen as the roots of minor keys)

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Re. the black notes on a keyboard, I’d always think the flat names , since all five have commonly used major scales/ keys built on the roots: Db, Eb, Gb, Ab and Bb.
Also learn the two major keys/scales which you’ll commonly see the sharp-keyed enharmonic equivalents, C# and F#.
( D#, G# and A# are most often seen as the roots of minor keys)
Whilst I can understand why you say that, personally I think you should use the name that’s appropriate for the key. So, if you’re in the key of Dflat major,then it’s 5 flats Bb Eb Ab Db and Gb; but Csharp minor is 4 sharps F# C# G# and D#.

If you start thinking “oh, Gb is F#” that’s an extra layer of translation your brain is unnecessarily doing.

Top Bottom