PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Yanagisawa soprano sax i think an S6? any info please

thesaxman71

Account Closed
I just bought a couple more saxes today and this is one of them, a Yanagisawa 1 piece soprano and i am thinking it 99% certain it is an S6 and it is in VERY good condition, a lot better than others i seen getting sold out there, it looks like a sax only a couple of years old and not nearly 40, unreal. The pads are older, probably original but playing fine, i will probably service it ,replace pads etc etc to make sure.
I am just wanting to get my facts right before i list it for sale, it plays very, very well, intonation, projection, warmth in sound yet punchy, fidly little mark vi type side keys, no front F and it has the mark VI look about it. engraving on the bell "Made By Yanagisawa Japan 7764190" in one place at the front with serial not at the back but with the logo engraving.
I am just wanting to know more about this very good condition vintage soprano, year of make, how they are viewed in comparison to other soprano's and of course it's value.
thanks,
Ian
link to pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cic8ofrkirgvym8/3YtK4Ei0j7

if you have a value in mind please PM me that please, i prefer it to be private if i am to be selling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great sopranos. Probably a S6 model that reached the market in the late 60's. I guess your horn is made in 1976? On older Yanagisawa's the third and fourth digit indicate manufactoring year. They kept this system to c 1980. "Made by Yanagisawa" which also can indicate that this caan be a stencil horn. Yanagisawa began to sell horn under thier own name in the late 70's and they didn't have "made by", just "Yanagisawa" on the sax. This Yanis are quite comon in Sweden/Scandinavia. They were distrubuted by one of the biggest sellers and distributors of musical instrument. A Yani like yours is for sale right now in Sweden for 9500 s e k.

to all wooing it as we can all see it is in VERY good condition for the age and even compared to new saxes too.
i will servicing it and possibly selling it so if anyone can PM me a price guide then that would be a help.

Looks lovely. If it plays as well as my A6 it'll be a belter.
i blew it before doing anything to it or looking it over and it just belted out a lovely sound, can't wait til i service it and see what it is like then. just scared in case i end up wanting to keep it haha, i don't need 9 saxes, or do i?

Thomas was right the first time...

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=man&manID=21

Yanis were also sold in the US under the brand name "Whitehall"...

Great horns!

Greg S.

P.S. I suspect from looking at the serial number again and the serial number ranges it's probably from 1977 (?) and it's most likely the 1st and 2nd, or 2nd or 3rd that denotes the date of manufacture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great horns!

Greg S.

P.S. I suspect from looking at the serial number again and the serial number ranges it's probably from 1977 (?) and it's most likely the 1st and 2nd, or 2nd or 3rd that denotes the date of manufacture.
thank you for the info...

i must admit it plays very similar to a mark vi sop but i think it had a clearer tone than the vi, i think i may end up keeping this little gem, it is inspiring to play on...

Great horns!

Greg S.

Yes, made in -76 or -77!?!? But not -64!! The serialnumber on saxes is interesting! Martin had the same type and placement on thier saxes from the 20's to the bitter end. So look close when you buy a sax. I use to work in a musicshop (wind department) and we sold both Yani stecils and later Yanigisawa, when they began to sell under thier own name (late 70's). They had differnt numbers before the digits that tell us manufactoring year. I couldn't find out why.

thank you for the info...

i must admit it plays very similar to a mark vi sop but i think it had a clearer tone than the vi, i think i may end up keeping this little gem, it is inspiring to play on...

I don`t blame you , Although my actual playing of sops is very new I`ve been listening to them for a long time and despite strongly favouring Yamaha over Yanagisawa in altos and tenors , sop wise I`d go for a Yani over a Yam personally and that S6 would make anyone a lovely "Final" straight sop .

Thanks Kev but I`m no where near good enough to warrant one and my finances have taken a direct hit buying Dave's Mega Silver 62 (though it has given my Musical Instrument hoard a much needed Enema resulting in the big thin down) so it`ll be a long while yet ..

Maybe enlist help from our Swedish members and chase the one in Thomsax's link?
I already looked it up and it is similar to mine but a few subtle differences, mine has the serial under the logo with Japan next to it also engraving around it at the front and mine had no neck strap loop but instead a pillar for a lyre with screw in it also mine is in better condition and the seller is wanting just over 1000 pounds for his.

Thanks Kev but I`m no where near good enough to warrant one and my finances have taken a direct hit buying Dave's Mega Silver 62 (though it has given my Musical Instrument hoard a much needed Enema resulting in the big thin down) so it`ll be a long while yet ..

I'm more than happy with the tone of the G4M Rosedale, which is supposed to be a Yani copy. At those prices, it's justifiable, even after contributing to Davey's Toon fund...

Back
Top Bottom