PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Yamaha or Jupiter?

JonTheReeds

Hi

I've been playing clarinet for a couple of years and recently tried a friend's sax. To say I was blown away is not an exageration, pun and all. It was like playing a clarinet on steroids, through a huge Marshall stack!

So, I have a bit of money to spend and am looking at a Jupiter 769/767 or a Yamaha YAS280

I've asked Jupiter about the difference between a 769 and a 767 and they have told me the body is the same, it's just the finishing

I'd really appreciate any feedback from people who have played both the Jupiter and the Yamaha, what the good/bad points about both are and the type of person each would suit

Many thanks

I've had JAS-565/567 and YAS-275 and both are a little lifeless. I'd suggest you buy neither of the ones you suggest.

Try a Buffet 400 Matte at around £800 new (the one I've kept), or a Jericho J6 MkII with 3 year warranty for £250+ with 10% member's discount (ask for Becky). The Matt gold version (c£300) is rather nice, but not in the same league as the Buffet. Both are rather more flexible than the Jupiter or Yamaha student lines.

http://www.buffet-crampon.com/en/content/400-series?f=45&l=10,11,12
http://www.studentmusicsupplies.com/jericho-j6amii-alto-matt-gold-mark-ii-238-p.asp

;}

The best thing to do if you're reasonably near a sax shop is to go in and play test several different saxes. You can then decide which is best for you. Everyone has different preferences and saxes feel and sound different for different players.

You can spend as much time as you like playing and pick up a mouthpiece that you like as the ones provided with saxes aren't always very good. Yamahas are an exception.

+1 for Saxdiva's suggestion!

Try as many saxes as you can (if its feasible), then decide what suits you best. If Jupiter and Yamaha are your only options, then I personally would opt for a Yamaha - they're built to last and will hold their value.

Happy Blowing!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice

I was thinking about trying before buying but then I started to think that buying from the internet might be an option as the choice is much wider than the local shop

But everyone's advice has convinced me to go down to my local shop this weekend

Thanks for everyone's help and advice

I was thinking about trying before buying but then I started to think that buying from the internet might be an option as the choice is much wider than the local shop

But everyone's advice has convinced me to go down to my local shop this weekend

Have fun and I'm sure you'll learn a lot about what suits you.

Jx

Only problem you can find in going to a local sax shop is that the range may be quite limited and you may end up with something that is not that good overall. Like David I rate the Buffet very highly but unless you are in London or Bristol you will not find it. Do add a Bauhaus Walstein to your list as well - another that I would place above both the Jupiter and Yamaha that you mention.

Good luck with your search!
Tom

Many thanks for everyone's advice

I went down to my local music shop. They didn't have a great range but tried a few secondhand altos and a couple of new ones and in the end plumped for a secondhand Yamaha 275. It plays well and had the best tone of the lot. There are a few things that need fine tuning, such as a sticky pad and a side key that needs repositioning slightly, but the price includes a free set up so I'll take it back this week for a quick tweak. I also get a 6-month guarantee, but it looks good and hopefully won't be needing that!

You won't go far wrong with a Yam. Reliable kit that will hold it's price and every tech has seen one before.

100% agree. Now you just have to learn to pay the beast - if you've got to a reasonable level on the clari you should progress quickly. Clarinet is a very different instrument, but the skills learnt in playing clari really help with learning the sax, as long as you don't think of it as a big clarinet, but as a different instrument. I say this as I went from clarinet to sax about 33 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom