support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Yamaha Digital saxophone - or is it?

Interesting.
However, on their site, I can't find a price, or where I could buy one .....
These seem to have been around for years but never seem to have gone into commercial production

The feel is the most important aspect. If it feels like a saxophone, which no EWI I know of does, I'd be very interested. It would solve a lot of problems (and as most technology does, probably introduce new ones!)

...and if we were to buy one, would you expect us to be pleased, or disappointed? :confused:
Its the most saxophone like wind synth we've found to date, if that's what you want. Very horn player friendly under the fingers and sbout 70 sax sounds onboard .. its a proper 'digital saxophone' if thats what you're wanting then Yamaha have nailed it really well....

Its the most saxophone like wind synth we've found to date, if that's what you want. Very horn player friendly under the fingers and sbout 70 sax sounds onboard .. its a proper 'digital saxophone' if thats what you're wanting then Yamaha have nailed it really well....
Jules how would you compare its "feel" to a WX5 or WX7, if you've played either?

its a proper 'digital saxophone' if thats what you're wanting
Me looking over at my Yanagisawas:
"Nothing compares to youuuu...":sax:

"Ain't nothing like the real thing, babyyy!!"

I couldn't resist the urge to preorder one...
Rather than adventurous, I'm really desperate to find ways to extend my practice hours (lockdown with children does not help at all). I hope I won't be let down once I receive it.
I do not expect it to replace my saxophone practice at all, just add extra practice time when I cannot be loud at home.

I will have to find out what the YDS-150 can do for me. I will share my impressions here when I receive it.

Prices are starting to be disclosed on the various European websites too. So far from 825€ to 899€.

It will be difficult to get one for this Christmas... I bet they are going to be sold out very quickly!

It's exactly the size of a straight soprano.

Prices are starting to be disclosed on the various European websites too. So far from 825€ to 899€.

It will be difficult to get one for this Christmas... I bet they are going to be sold out very quickly!

It's exactly the size of a straight soprano.
Who has it in France?

Ah, I see one:

Also on Thomann, I looked yesterday, wasn't there, today it is

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't seem to have a lip sensor, the WX5 has breath and lip sensor.
This one appears to have only the breath sensor
or am I missing something ?

I think it does, because there's the special reed like the WX5. We won't know til someone with one in hand tells us, though :)

EDIT: I have the user manual and there's no mention of lip sensor. You just blow. Knowing how well this works on the WX series, if this is the case, it's less interesting to me, especially for blues, where note bending is part of the identify.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it does, because there's the special reed like the WX5. We won't know til someone with one in hand tells us, though :)

EDIT: I have the user manual and there's no mention of lip sensor. You just blow. Knowing how well this works on the WX series, if this is the case, it's less interesting to me, especially for blues, where note bending is part of the identify.
Keywork wise its very similar to the old WX series but with the 'missing keys' added in (right hand side keys, aux F etc). Its certailny more sax-like
The embouchure and breath control was more subtle on a WX (no reed pitch bend this time round)

The embouchure and breath control was more subtle on a WX (no reed pitch bend this time round)
Thanks, Jules, I was about to ask you! It has so many qualities I'm interested in. The keys definitely look like they'd feel just like a real sax. So bottom line, no intonation issues, but need to use a special "bend key". THat's workable, I guess. Thomann say probably Oct delivery.

I ordered one last night, but there was a little problem of payment. I'm considering talking to my local store to see if they're going to get any. Easier to return. I think vibrato would have to be with finger controls.

I ordered one last night, but there was a little problem of payment. I'm considering talking to my local store to see if they're going to get any. Easier to return. I think vibrato would have to be with finger controls.

Technically they must be able to hook the reed movement to MIDI pitchwheel.

Back
Top Bottom