All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Yamaha Digital saxophone - or is it?

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Yamaha YDS-150.jpg
I do kind of wonder why they made it straight, as opposed to looking like a proper saxophone :)

It's not really a saxophone though, I suppose I should have put this under wind controllers.

Or maybe it really is a saxophone. :headscratch:

Wonko

View attachment 15664 I do kind of wonder why they made it straight, as opposed to looking like a proper saxophone :)
I guess it's a bit easier to produce like this? Or in other words, engineers tend to think in straight lines ..... :cool:
Also, I think this is easier to pack in your luggage if you want to take a sax (or wind controler) on a trip or holiday.

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Subscriber
I do kind of wonder why they made it straight, as opposed to looking like a proper saxophone :)

It's kind of sad they didn't consult saxophonists before committing to a design. Being digital, offering a curved neck shouldn't have been a huge problem.

From a convenience point of view, anything not straight takes more space. But ergos are essential when it comes to musical instruments.

From a marketing point of view, trying to attract sax players must be on the agenda and most of us play curved saxes. Even straight sopranos often come with curved necks, indicating that straight is not ideal...

Clivey

Oh for a company who'd give me what I would really like. A nice cheap ,less than 100 notes, Dummy wind controller. With keys like this one.
Get rid of all the onboard guff N puff, and yucky cheez sonics, we can do whatever we like to provide these. I just want to control my own Synths and samples. Plus it would be ace for scores too.

Vetinari

Subscriber
A company called Softwind built a synth into a brand new.Yamaha yas-280 .They called it the Synthophone.
Edit Just watched some of this on utube. Worth a look and listen.

Last edited:

Wonko

A company called Softwind built a synth into a brand new.Yamaha yas-280 .They called it the Synthophone.
Edit Just watched some of this on utube. Worth a look and listen.

Interesting.
However, on their site, I can't find a price, or where I could buy one .....

Vetinari

Subscriber
No idea. Just know it exists. Guess if you know the price of a yas 280 then add some?

edit Checked a 280 price as about £850 add 500 to 1000 for conversion ,probably, then you need some sort of midi synth. Over all sounds v.expensive.:w00t:

Last edited:
Top Bottom