All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Yamaha Digital saxophone - or is it?

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
Just seen that Thomann will not reorder before March 25, 2021!

So if you expected one for Christmas... It's not gonna do it. :confused2:

Better keep your GAS attacks in check.

A

Acc closed 6441

I'm willing to bet there will be a used offering between now and Christmas?

A

Acc closed 6441

I should have said "I wouldn't doubt..." I don't want to bet. Personally, I have no intention of selling it unless it becomes a collectors item worth 10x the buying price.

10kvClockMan

Café Supporter
Locality
London
Ok 10 months on playing this sax I have some observations. It is great for learning and playing through pieces but and this is a very big, but..... You lose your embrasure if you are not careful. Playing long and hard on this Yamaha YDS-150 certainly gets you better but better at playing the YDS not the real sax. Palm keys and C sharp (all fingers off nearly lose control of the sax altogether) become great on the digital sax and rubbish on the real sax. I am having to re learn how to operate the real sax. The lesson here is that you have to build a practicing balance between digital and real. I have put myself back quite a long way and its very hard work to regain the muscle memory I have lost.

That said with the right balance it is simply a brilliant way to build your keys and music reading skills. I do really love it. I have attached my latest attempt to go all bluesy ...... be kind

View: https://youtu.be/UjX6GkWAva4

With kind regards

Jonathan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Ok 10 months on playing this sax I have some observations. It is great for learning and playing through pieces but and this is a very big, but..... You lose your embrasure if you are not careful. Playing long and hard on this Yamaha YDS-150 certainly gets you better but better at playing the YDS not the real sax. Palm keys and C sharp (all fingers off nearly lose control of the sax altogether) become great on the digital sax and rubbish on the real sax. I am having to re learn how to operate the real sax. The lesson here is that you have to build a practicing balance between digital and real. I have put myself back quite a long way and its very hard work to regain the muscle memory I have lost.

That said with the right balance it is simply a brilliant way to build your keys and music reading skills. I do really love it. I have attached my latest attempt to go all bluesy ...... be kind

With kind regards

Jonathan
The tone is helped in spades by the breathy element

Nicely played too

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Locality
Greenfield, Nova Scotia, Canada

With kind regards

Jonathan
Thank you for your evaluation.

bill_reed

Locality
east lothian
I have not tried the YDS-150 but have tried the roland AE-10 but i was put off by the loud key clicks, sound were good... i have been playing a Akai ewi usb since 2014 and like how easy it is to play, two years ago i got the EWI 5000 and last year the EWI solo... out the three the solo that best, had the bests sounds and the easiest to ply, just switch it on and play... no leads or cables... I think that the EWI solo for the price is the best electric wind instrument out there... also has 200 sound on board...

Ballymenaboy

Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
I have been playing the Yamaha WX5 for a few years and think it is a great instrument that I bought on ebay uk with a Roland JV1010. I sent the wx5 across to Puretech Solutions in England for replacement actuators on the keys.
I hope the new instruments have a better mouthpiece set up as if something goes wrong with it they are the devil to fix.
Having said that I still enjoy the sounds that are available through a synth unit..nothing beats playing a real saxophone though,,,,in my opinion

10kvClockMan

Café Supporter
Locality
London
Hi everyone. Well I have gone mad and bought the Yamaha WX5 with the VL70-m. Why????

I wanted to see if the pitch control on the reed will enable me to bring a degree of style into my playing. Up till now its one note after another and I am very pleased with the YDS-150 and its transfer to the real sax. I bought it on Ebay and if I hate it I can put it back on Ebay. Will let you know of progress

Ballymenaboy

Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
Hi everyone. Well I have gone mad and bought the Yamaha WX5 with the VL70-m. Why????

I wanted to see if the pitch control on the reed will enable me to bring a degree of style into my playing. Up till now its one note after another and I am very pleased with the YDS-150 and its transfer to the real sax. I bought it on Ebay and if I hate it I can put it back on Ebay. Will let you know of progress
Not sure if playing wx5 will have any material impact on playing real sax. There is no feel to the wx5 mouthpiece that allows any intonation so this may have the opposite effect than that which you are looking for. Personal view

10kvClockMan

Café Supporter
Locality
London
Not sure if playing wx5 will have any material impact on playing real sax. There is no feel to the wx5 mouthpiece that allows any intonation so this may have the opposite effect than that which you are looking for. Personal view
Understood, I have got quite good with the YDS-150 and my previous posts talks about my recognition that I have to play it and my real sax in order to keep my mouth working. The great thing about the YDA-150 is that it lets me practice pieces endlessly without noise, (I found my neighbor sobbing uncontrollably in my front garden screaming stop, one day) However, I have got some good sound out of it in Tenor mode, but without pitch bend its a bit single note playing.

I found the WX5 on Ebay from a chap who was selling his father's kit and it was a really good price. So I thought I would give it a go. It comes by post tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on. It comes with the VL70-m and I do not know it it has the patchman sound chip installed. Quite excited to try it tbh.

Ballymenaboy

Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
Understood, I have got quite good with the YDS-150 and my previous posts talks about my recognition that I have to play it and my real sax in order to keep my mouth working. The great thing about the YDA-150 is that it lets me practice pieces endlessly without noise, (I found my neighbor sobbing uncontrollably in my front garden scream stop, one day) However, I have got some good sound out of it in Tenor mode, but without pitch bend its a bit single note playing.

I found the WX5 on Ebay from a chap who was selling his father's kit and it was a really good price. So I thought I would give it a go. It comes by post tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on. It comes with the VL70-m and I do not know it it has the patchman sound chip installed. Quite excited to try it tbh.
Hope you get enjoyment with it. Any issues with it Puretech Solutions can repair them over on the offshore island there

h4yn0nnym0u5e

Locality
Cambridgeshire
The memory backup battery failed on my VL70-m recently. It’s a CR2450 in a holder, so fairly easy to replace, except that the holder is weird and needs the battery to be a sort of Panama hat shape. I sort of forced the new one in…

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom