• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Yamaha alto different models

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chas
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured

Chas

Member
Messages
169
Location
England
Hello everyone I've decided to save my Penny's or pounds ,save up and buy an alto Yamaha saxophone could anybody tell me the best 3 Yamaha saxophone and what the initials stand for after Yamaha yas is this Yamaha alto sax and the theres a number any info would be much appreciated charlie
 
Solution
Thanks, jaye ,I've decided to save up and buy a Yamaha do you know what the initials stand for after the name Yamaha yas etc and ehats the best 3 alto Yamaha saxophones cheers charlie
Hello. Alto ? or Tenor ? You were looking a a Tenor on this thread, no ?

Either way, as noted above YAS = alto, YTS= Tenor

FWIW a Yamaha student model isn't your only choice. They are often a default choice just because used they are relatively cheap and they are ubiquitous, also very reliable. But if you were looking for one, a Vito-branded one is gonna be cheaper than a Yamaha-engraved one.
The Vitos or Yamas were the model 21 and 23's, exxentially the same instrument really, just 2 or 3 minor changes made between 21 and 23. In your neck...
Thanks, jaye ,I've decided to save up and buy a Yamaha do you know what the initials stand for after the name Yamaha yas etc and ehats the best 3 alto Yamaha saxophones cheers charlie
Hello. Alto ? or Tenor ? You were looking a a Tenor on this thread, no ?

Either way, as noted above YAS = alto, YTS= Tenor

FWIW a Yamaha student model isn't your only choice. They are often a default choice just because used they are relatively cheap and they are ubiquitous, also very reliable. But if you were looking for one, a Vito-branded one is gonna be cheaper than a Yamaha-engraved one.
The Vitos or Yamas were the model 21 and 23's, exxentially the same instrument really, just 2 or 3 minor changes made between 21 and 23. In your neck of woods I believe Yama also marketed a 25 and 26...not often seen on this side of pond, again essentially the same horn. After those came the 275 and 280 models, again essentially the same horns but manufactured in China and Indonesia, I believe.

If perusing Vitos, look for it having been stamped Japan if you want the Yama-made ones. The ones stamped Taiwan or ROC are Jupiter made ones....which brings me back to an earlier point. Japanese Vitos (which are 21's or 23's) are NOT stamped with a model designation. Quick way to tell which you have is the 21's have screw-tension ferrules at the bow (you see a nib with 2 screws)...the 23's have what appears to be a soldered bow joint (no screw nibs), but in fact the joint is actually just glued, not soldered (it really should have been soldered).

People 'automatically' gravitate to Yamaha without having really considered other options. Jupiter makes very good saxes, even their student lines are quite good. I'd argue that many JUpes are as good or better than the Yama 21/23. So if you come across a Jupiter, do not dismiss it.

Buffet's 100 model and their one-shelf-lower Evette models (not to be confused with the vintage Evette Schaefers) are quite cheap on the used market ....and I would pick a 100 over a Yama 23 , myself.

Also the Keilwerth ST90...more or less completely ignored.... but a superior horn in every way to a Yama 23. A Keilwerth design, subcontrracted/fabricated to/in either CZ or Taiwan (at Jupiter plant in Taiwan). Sometimes found at the same price point as the Yamas.

So these are usually the suggestions I make if someone is looking for a modern-keywork, budget-priced horn. Vito/Yama, Jupiter, Buffet/Evette, JK ST90.

Best of luck.
 
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
Solution
YAS-25 has a High F# key as do its successors (275; 280) whereas the 21, 23, and Vitos do not.

I have a nice YAS-25 I could be persuaded to part with (5% of sale price to forum fund).

From these student models you go into intermediate 32; 475; 480 then on to Pro 62; 82; 855; 875

For good used ones, student £400-600
Intermediate £600-1000
Pro £1000-2000

Then you have different ages and origins e.g. YAS-62 MkI, II, III; older Purple Logo (transfer on bell instead of engraving); Earlier Made in Japan; Later Made in Indonesia.

Confused?

They're all good. Some say Japan is better. Purple Logo sought after.

I've had alto, 21, 23, 25, 275, 32, 475, 62 PL & Vitos. 62 PL the best I've experienced. Vito best value IF you can find one.

As @JayeNM says, various makers made Vito (Yamaha; Jupiter; Beaugnier; Yanagisawa). Come back here if you're not sure and show us what you've found, to identify it.
 
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
Hello. Alto ? or Tenor ? You were looking a a Tenor on this thread, no ?

Either way, as noted above YAS = alto, YTS= Tenor

FWIW a Yamaha student model isn't your only choice. They are often a default choice just because used they are relatively cheap and they are ubiquitous, also very reliable. But if you were looking for one, a Vito-branded one is gonna be cheaper than a Yamaha-engraved one.
The Vitos or Yamas were the model 21 and 23's, exxentially the same instrument really, just 2 or 3 minor changes made between 21 and 23. In your neck of woods I believe Yama also marketed a 25 and 26...not often seen on this side of pond, again essentially the same horn. After those came the 275 and 280 models, again essentially the same horns but manufactured in China and Indonesia, I believe.

If perusing Vitos, look for it having been stamped Japan if you want the Yama-made ones. The ones stamped Taiwan or ROC are Jupiter made ones....which brings me back to an earlier point. Japanese Vitos (which are 21's or 23's) are NOT stamped with a model designation. Quick way to tell which you have is the 21's have screw-tension ferrules at the bow (you see a nib with 2 screws)...the 23's have what appears to be a soldered bow joint (no screw nibs), but in fact the joint is actually just glued, not soldered (it really should have been soldered).

People 'automatically' gravitate to Yamaha without having really considered other options. Jupiter makes very good saxes, even their student lines are quite good. I'd argue that many JUpes are as good or better than the Yama 21/23. So if you come across a Jupiter, do not dismiss it.

Buffet's 100 model and their one-shelf-lower Evette models (not to be confused with the vintage Evette Schaefers) are quite cheap on the used market ....and I would pick a 100 over a Yama 23 , myself.

Also the Keilwerth ST90...more or less completely ignored.... but a superior horn in every way to a Yama 23. A Keilwerth design, subcontrracted/fabricated to/in either CZ or Taiwan (at Jupiter plant in Taiwan). Sometimes found at the same price point as the Yamas.

So these are usually the suggestions I make if someone is looking for a modern-keywork, budget-priced horn. Vito/Yama, Jupiter, Buffet/Evette, JK ST90.

Best of luck.
Thank you for the information I have seen quite a few Jupiters at alot lower price,but it starts to become a bit mind boggling when you try to find out where it was made, do you know what the purple badge stands for is this a beter quality sax charlie
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the information I have seen quite a few Jupiters at alot lower price,but it starts to become a bit mind boggling when you try to find out where it was made, do you know what the purple badge stands for is this a beter quality sax charlie
Purple logos indicate an earlier-made Yama. On the MARKET...these are considered more 'desirable'. IMHO, that's sorta bunk. Yama was really consistent in their production; I have not found that Purple logo Yamas were made better or out-perform later-made Japan ones...and I have serviced many of both.

Jupiters, good hors as long as you stay to the ones with model names denoted "JAS" or "JTS". Avoid the earlier ones, denoted "SAS" or "STS"...those were made in the first 15 years or so of their production and there was a learning curve there for the company. By the time they re-denoted them with the J's, they had upped their game a whole bunch.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Yamaha has 4 ranges:
"Student" - 21, 23, 25, 275, 280
"Intermediate" - 32 (called 52 in some countries), 475, 480
"Professional" - 62
"Custom" - 82, 82Z, 855, 875, 875EX

However, the Yamaha "student" models are very well made - much better than some Chinese saxophones labelled "professional". A good used 2xx Yamaha can be very good value, and great fun to play.

I have heard (though I'm not sure about this) that the 32's had the same body as the more expensive 62, but without the fancy engraving, and with slightly simpler keywork. That should mean that they sound like the more expensive pro model.

Most people reckon that the 62's are very good horns, especially the early ones.

The Custom ones were a later, more expensive, addition to the lineup.

The very early models had the Yamaha name stencilled on the side of the bell in a dark red-ish sort of colour (the so-called "Purple Logo" models). Later ones were stamped. In the usual "the old ones are the best" fashion among saxophone geeks, the Purple Logo ones are considered by some to be superior, and will therefore probably cost more.

Similarly, the early 2x instruments were made in Japan, and later ones (275, 280) were made in Indonesia. Some people say that the Japanese-made ones are better.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Apologies if this is off topic . Excuse me but I'm curious as to the " ROC " stamp.
@JayeNM : you say this stamp denotes " Jupiter " made..
So I got into a little trouble after selling a King " Zephyr " years back . It did look a little different to other Zephs I'd seen but to my limited knowledge back then the discrepancies were cosmetic.. ( key guards ) I recall. It played just fine.
The guy I sold it too in short said I'd ripped him off ; I had no idea and sold it with the best intentions believing it to be a King.
Sorry I'm going on but how does that work ? Was it a Jupiter made King ? ( if that makes sense )...
NB...It was stamped " ROC " apparently well hidden behind the adjustable thumb hook...
 
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
What do you have currently? Still the B&H400? If it's in decent shape there's no rush to get another; you can afford to wait until the right one comes your way.
Hello thanks for info very much appreciated this forum is so helpful I'm be blowing down a piece of copper pipe if it was not for all the help of the forum, I currently play on an old blessing which is ok but in the altismo not to good I have had a go on a selmer and can knock the notes out realy well but unfortunately my pockets wont stretch to a selmer charlie
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Was there a 31 as well?
Yes, but I have never seen or played one. For some reasons it was just 21 and 61 that were sold in Sweden. The YAS 32 was introduced as new model in 1978.
yam61.jpg
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Vote:
Upvote 0
Hello I asked one or ywo people on the forum about Yamaha saxophones have just bought a Yamaha 32 for£875.00 from all brass and woodwind leeds, 6 month warranty,could I have your honest opinions please it's alto charlie
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Yamaha has 4 ranges:
"Student" - 21, 23, 25, 275, 280
"Intermediate" - 32 (called 52 in some countries), 475, 480
"Professional" - 62
"Custom" - 82, 82Z, 855, 875, 875EX

However, the Yamaha "student" models are very well made - much better than some Chinese saxophones labelled "professional". A good used 2xx Yamaha can be very good value, and great fun to play.

I have heard (though I'm not sure about this) that the 32's had the same body as the more expensive 62, but without the fancy engraving, and with slightly simpler keywork. That should mean that they sound like the more expensive pro model.

Most people reckon that the 62's are very good horns, especially the early ones.

The Custom ones were a later, more expensive, addition to the lineup.

The very early models had the Yamaha name stencilled on the side of the bell in a dark red-ish sort of colour (the so-called "Purple Logo" models). Later ones were stamped. In the usual "the old ones are the best" fashion among saxophone geeks, the Purple Logo ones are considered by some to be superior, and will therefore probably cost more.

Similarly, the early 2x instruments were made in Japan, and later ones (275, 280) were made in Indonesia. Some people say that the Japanese-made ones are better.
Hello nigel I have just bought a Yamaha 32 yas from all brass and woodwind leeds for £875.00 got 6 month warranty on would appreciate your thoughts charlie
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
If I had unlimited funds, I might look at a silver-plated YAS875EX, but in the real world the YAS32 is probably the model I would go for. However, I have never played one. (I had a YAS 280 for a while, but I decided on something more classical sounding.)

What is a "reasonable" cost depends on what condition it is in, and who you buy from.
I haven't bought an alto for ages, so I'm not up on prices. But @DavidUK knows about these things, and he gives price ranges in post #4. Your sax is within his range for an intermediate model. I think £875 would be a high price for a private sale (e.g. eBay) unless it was in near-perfect condition, but one always pays more from a shop, and hopefully one gets reduced risk in return. If it is in good condition and doesn't need any work, then the price is not unreasonable. And the guarantee is very nice to have. It shows that they have confidence in the horn.

But the real question is not whether I, or anyone else in the Café approves, but do you really like it?
Are you having second thoughts?
Can you post pictures? - we all like drooling over saxophones.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,030
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom