World Cup 2018

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
As a Welshman, rugby supporter (and ex-player), I've never had much interest in football. Unless 'Oranje' (The Netherlands - my adopted country) play in international tournaments. I live about 10 KM from the Belgian border so Belgium is a kind of 'close relative'. ENG-SWE is the first World Cup 2018 match I watched in full (instead of just keeping track of the scores + summary videos). Great performance by England.who (as far as my football knowledge goes) completely outmatched Sweden. Both in attack and defence. Pickford would have been my 'man of the match'.

I would really love to see a World Cup final between England and Belgium. I'm not yet sure which team I'd be rooting for most, but I'd be happy with either winner :)

I enjoy seeing contrasting styles and it's good when footballing nations have a distinct character. It would have been fun to see Holland (The Netherlands) at the Finals, especially playing in their old creative style.

Rhys

saxyjt

Ever heard of the saying
“Enjoy the moment”
It’ll be nice to beat France in the final :)
Do you know how I enjoyed the world cup in 98?

I just kept my windows open. I lived in Paris and didn't need to watch the game to know what was going on. The clamor spoke load and clear! I never was much of a football fan... It's actually my wife that led me to watch a few games since I got married.

So, I can easily say "Cheers and good luck for the next rounds" guys!

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
In my first year at secondary school, I remember being marched off (with the whole school) to a nearby cinema to watch a full-length feature film of England's 1966 World Cup win. These are the highlights. For some strange reason, this link to YouTube is blocked by FiFa. You need to explicitly click on "Watch on YouTube" to watch the video.

Last edited:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
The England team have done us proud, they've played as a team and acted like gentlemen I'm so pleaesd for them and proud of such a young team.

Whatever happens now they can hold their heads high and know they've done us proud :)

Jx

rhysonsax

Hardly early reaching a semi final is it ?
Reaching the semi-final means two more games for all four teams. The playoff for 3rd and 4th place is on the Saturday and the final on Sunday.

I will be at the Swanage jazz Festival next weekend, cooling off in the sea and looking for a TV as well as hearing some great music.

Rhys

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
There are some really funny videos and images floating around based on the 'It's Coming Home' theme but the best one I've seen was from Harry Maguire's twitter feed from 2nd June
Harry.jpeg

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
So here I am, in Croatia on me hols, and it's England v. Croatia tomorrow

What would you advise I do?

• Sit out of sight in holiday digs watching match on Croatian telly
• Go to local bar, support England
• Go to local bar, remain neutral
• Go to local bar, jump with joy at Croatian goal(s)

Or some other option???

Top Bottom