Saxophones Wood stone Sax's

Parker550

Well whilst I agree with the statements made on their website I ordered one on these and I'm currently checking it out.. Compared to other horns their set up is about as perfect as it gets, no sign of even a thou of play in the rod/post area. Pads perfectly seal on level tone holes, action very light with blue springs tensioned great, engraving is about as perfect as I have every seen and is hand engraved like the SBAs of old. Neck to body spot on, I have to agree with other statements as in it feeling just like an old SBA or VI horn in overall resistance in blowing very nice tone too altisimo to Bb pretty much effortless as is it's tuning, as good as I've ever played in any horn. 7month waiting time in general and Nat Birchall of Manchester, who doesn't BS plays his instead of his Mark VI. They are expensive but most professional horns are around 4k these days this one is unlaquered and does play lovely. My 82Z as a comparison which isn't too old has loads of play in the rod post areas, is noisy ie keywork, palm keys play consistently too sharp G1 or V1 neck and tone is more 'brittle' despite hunting down and trying numerous mps the tone, warmth and creamy sound is a lot smoother than the Yammy ,,,,,,if that's what you want. So still pondering but thought I'd put in an acutual 'played one' comment......
cheers

Guenne

I'd put in an acutual 'played one' comment....
Hi,
how does the keywork feel compared to a Yamaha or Yani?
That's what I do not like about most (or all that I know) Taiwanese horns.

And how "big" is it compared to Yanagisawa and Yamaha?

Thanks, Guenne

Parker550

Very smooth just like a yanni but light, borgani style. Closer action than most too so a quick player. Bell size is smaller than the 82z and its very mark vi in weight and overall feel. Other reviews on utube etc reflect my sentiments and feelings, especially the latest review Google it on videos you'll see it. Having played many and owned many the keyword feels effortless perfection..... And whilst I understand the take on here re this marketing garbage I still feel it's unwarranted by persons who 1) have never seen/held one and 2) actually played one.... On one final note see how many are sold second hand? If they were so crap surely they would be passed on and not have a 7+ month waiting time, I've looked for 3yrs and seen two... Both sold without waiting time and in USA or Japan. Hope this helps..

OldNotGrey

A Wood Stone tenor was added to a mix of saxophones for me to try when I dropped into Dawkes recently. I hadn't heard of them and hadn't read any reviews prior so this was a bit of a curve ball when lined up against two Yamaha 82Zs and an Eastman. Whilst I didn't play it for long, first impressions were that it sat very nicely in the hands, had a light action and produced a good tone. Could I believe the sales blurb, absolutely not! Is it worth £4k? Generally a nice playable sax, but difficult to judge with limited play time, not helped by it being from an unfamiliar manufacturer (to me at least).

I went with the intent to try the Yamaha 82Z Atelier and left a very satisfied customer, having handed over a similar amount but comforted by the fact that the 82Z's have a long pedigree and history of satisfied customers/endorsers. Maybe one day Wood Stone will develop some kudos when players recount their own experience, so who knows. But someone please get a grip on the sales collateral and outlandish statements and come back down to planet earth.

Guenne

I went with the intent to try the Yamaha 82Z Atelier and left a very satisfied customer, having handed over a similar amount but comforted by the fact that the 82Z's have a long pedigree and history of satisfied customers/endorsers.
It's good we all have a different taste.
I have ordered this horn (in unlaquered withouth high F#) from sax.co.uk, and I did not like it at all. Ergonomics were perfect, but soundwise it did not impress me at all. So I swapped it for a Yani TWO20U.
I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to order one :)

Ivan

Undecided
I have ordered this horn (in unlaquered withouth high F#) from sax.co.uk, and I did not like it at all. Ergonomics were perfect, but soundwise it did not impress me at all. So I swapped it for a Yani TWO20U.
I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to order one
Do you mean that you've ordered, played and substituted a 82Z in the past, and you are not brave enough to order the Woodstone?

Top Bottom