thomsax stated;

("I'm going to continue with .....

• Rocksax workshops/clinics
  • Local rocksax meetings
  • Rocksax "karaoke" evenings
  • Buy lot's of CD's from more or less kown rocksax players
  • To have rocksaxphonists to come over here from USA
  • The meaingless (not to!!!) Rocksax paper
  • Play hard, full volume, "loud" ... rocksax.
  • Travel (I'm a home loving man!) to meet interesting rocksax players")
Thanks thomsax. We need all the support we can get. It is a lot of fun playing for dancers and gigging with a good "party band" playing fun music. I can appreciate the "attitude" towards Rock & Roll Sax by some critics although it does not bother me in the least bit. We are having many fun times!

In 1956 some of my friends and I were kicked out of my high school band room after school hours by the music teacher for practicing a popular rock song of the day. That was my first dose of "attitude" : ) Years later while attending the Uni. of South Florida we "jazzers" (stage band) and "rockers" would hear a negative comment once in a while from the choral and classical majors. The irony was that I was also playing tenor and alto in both the concert and symphonic band. I still play in the local community concert band.

A little of the negative has always been there on both sides towards certain musical styles and towards some well known and popular sax players and will likely continue. Nothing new about it!
Sure will be good to get back to playing after all of this virus stuff moves on! :clapping:

thomsax stated;

("I'm going to continue with .....

• Rocksax workshops/clinics
  • Local rocksax meetings
  • Rocksax "karaoke" evenings
  • Buy lot's of CD's from more or less kown rocksax players
  • To have rocksaxphonists to come over here from USA
  • The meaingless (not to!!!) Rocksax paper
  • Play hard, full volume, "loud" ... rocksax.
  • Travel (I'm a home loving man!) to meet interesting rocksax players")
Thanks thomsax. We need all the support we can get. It is a lot of fun playing for dancers and gigging with a good "party band" playing fun music. I can appreciate the "attitude" towards Rock & Roll Sax by some critics although it does not bother me in the least bit. We are having many fun times!

In 1956 some of my friends and I were kicked out of my high school band room after school hours by the music teacher for practicing a popular rock song of the day. That was my first dose of "attitude" : ) Years later while attending the Uni. of South Florida we "jazzers" (stage band) and "rockers" would hear a negative comment once in a while from the choral and classical majors. The irony was that I was also playing tenor and alto in both the concert and symphonic band. I still play in the local community concert band.

A little of the negative has always been there on both sides towards certain musical styles and towards some well known and popular sax players and will likely continue. Nothing new about it!
Sure will be good to get back to playing after all of this virus stuff moves on! :clapping:
I consider myself an ex-classical clarinet player - but not far off still if I dust it off for a few days, and a sax pop/jazzer. I’ve had many a pro gig with Rock n roll artists yet still consider it to be the hardest genre that I partake in. I came to it late and have to be really disciplined in order to not over-play. I’m okay at it. It amuses me when the neigh sayers can’t get near to what it is that is supposedly 2nd rate.

Pete stated;
"I came to it late and have to be really disciplined in order to not over-play"

Excellent point Pete!

"the neigh sayers can’t get near to what it is that is supposedly 2nd rate"

Especially when we see the smiles on the faces in the audience and the dancers having so much fun :sax:

I consider myself the epitome of mediocrity.

The last good one was played by Phil Woods in Just The Way You Are released in 1977
Even since Englishman in New York, the Ronnie Ross solo in Ronnie's Samba from the Matt Bianco album Matt's mood made in 2004 from a recording with Ronnie Ross before he died is pretty spectacular. I had been blown away by his playing on the Basia albums 10- 20 years earlier then discovered his back catalogue:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kXVkbboqTVY
For the impatient it is at 1:50

Even since Englishman in New York, the Ronnie Ross solo in Ronnie's Samba from the Matt Bianco album Matt's mood made in 2004 from a recording with Ronnie Ross before he died is pretty spectacular. I had been blown away by his playing on the Basia albums 10- 20 years earlier then discovered his back catalogue:

I love that one too. Curtis Swift of saxsolos.com has done the transcription and I bought it from his website: Ronnie Ross Ronnie's Samba - Saxsolos

Rhys

A joy