support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Where Have All the Saxophones Gone?

I know who she is. Wade is vocal about not liking “same-old”. In this video, she is.

I like anyone who is a good entertainer and musician. I'm kind of old you know, so grew up listening to all to those jazz greats and going to see them in concert and sneaking into bars where they played (I grew up in LA). My rants are strictly about TEACHING. Anyone who can sell themselves and make a living out of music today is doing well. Feeding beginners on a strict diet of mid 20th centruy styles to be their reference for playing may not be a good idea. It's a very simple concept really, you stand a better chance of being able to make a living if you are catering to current musical tastes. Good music is good music at any time and from any time. The question is about having an audience. There are thousands of jazz performance graduates. How many are working full time as musicians? Most (if still in music) teach. The real question is what do they teach?

I'm not terrified of playing in a band. I simply don't want schedules/regulations/boredom. It is the rigid structure and time wasting that horrifies me. And it has nothing to do with comfort zones, social, musical or otherwise. I'm sorry but your comment does read as if you are being judgemental. You know nothing about me but presume to know what would be best for me. I'm sorry if it might offend you but that is the attitude that offends young people: a presumptive lack of tolerance and understanding of the big, wide world of differing opinions.

I'm 62. I can do whatever I want. My music goal is only ever to play ballads for my wife and I. I'm not a muso. Music is a tiny part of my life. I'm a poetic romantic that romances my wife with saxophones while I'll also being involved in a million other things. There's a big difference.

Last edited:
Good music is good music at any time and from any time.

I disagree. I think that is a myth. There are significant cross-cultural differences making any culture's "good music" dissonant or worse to another's ears.

And so it is with different generations within the same culture. On the contrary, each generation's idea of good music tends to be rejectionist of what came before.

Last edited:
I have found for the most part the absolute worst 'customer service' agents to deal with are ones who are quite young.

Over the phone, you don't know their age! You'd be very surprised if you could see it from the call centre point of view. Some of the youngest sounding people are the oldest on the floor. By the way, you may well be confusing your personal objectives with the objectives of the organisation you're calling and the orders they command of the people you are talking with. What you want is not necessarily what the "service" centre staff are tasked to provide. We live in a dog-eat-dog capitalist world. And you'll catch a lot more flies with honey than a whip. It is no use demanding the world not change. It has already changed and will keep on changing, often in ways you may not like. We have to adapt to the world, the world won't stop changing for us.

Last edited:
Well, we've had plenty of your personal views, yet you seem to think that the rest of us are somehow not entitled to express our opinions? If you re-read mine (that you quote) you will see that it's an extremely personal point of view that is in response to Pete's comments where he questions my liking Grace Kely's music. ("Good music is good music at any time and from any time."). This is not a healthy conversation where you seem to be looking for a shuttle cock to bat around. I wish you well in your quest to be romantic. Welcome to my "ignore list"

"Good music is good music at any time and from any time."
I would agree with this statement if the music contains these 7 elements:
  • Sound (overtone, timbre, pitch, amplitude, duration)
  • Melody
  • Harmony
  • Rhythm
  • Texture
  • Structure/form
  • Expression (dynamics, tempo, articulation)
By this definition "Rap" doesn't qualify IMO.

1585578736286.png

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that je ne sais quois" Peter Schikele

I would agree with this statement if the music contains these 7 elements:
  • Sound (overtone, timbre, pitch, amplitude, duration)
  • Melody
  • Harmony
  • Rhythm
  • Texture
  • Structure/form
  • Expression (dynamics, tempo, articulation)
By this definition "Rap" doesn't qualify IMO.

View attachment 14333

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that je ne sais quois" Peter Schikele
Wow.
I was wondering how long it would take to get to the bunfight stage. Rap mentioned blah blah .

This thread or similar has been done to death over the last 2 decades, here and the other place. So much experience and knowledge shared and sadly wasted also.
With every generation the saxophone and other instruments become more and more an instrument of the conservatory just as the samplers and Loopers will become when AI eventually allows / facilitates performers in the near future. I keep going on about "it's the message and not the bottle" and if course that's fundimental but many folks want traditional music models provided at high quality ( conserved music genres including folk and religious) .Others desire to wrap " pun intended" their message in completely novel packages aurally .

Main point is the thread is evoking strong feelings and that's a good thing, and it's a shame that fights are happening .
I'm kinda glad I am on a phone doing this as it gives me a great excuse for brevity (•‿•)

I am not saying that "Rap" does not carry a message. That appears to be its main purpose. My point is that it is a form of "poety" that is coupled with a repetitive bass line and percussive rhythm, and as such does not have a melody per se. In the early '60's "Beatniks" playing bongo drums and reciting poetry were the "forerunner" to this style of communication.

[/QUOTE]
I am not saying that "Rap" does not carry a message. That appears to be its main purpose. My point is that it is a form of "poety" that is coupled with a repetitive bass line and percussive rhythm, and as such does not have a melody per se. In the early '60's "Beatniks" playing bongo drums and reciting poetry were the "forerunner" to this style of communication.
Bob Dylan.

I don't really understand what they want with articles like "Where Have All the Saxophones Gone?", or the swedish jazz guy that don't like "Engelsk saxofon" (rock,pop, ..). Another guy that use to write in our local paper don't like macho sax = male tenorsaxophonists that play jazz, R&B, Rock ...... .
erikssonsaxofononer.JPG

I'm going to continue with .....
  • Rocksax workshops/clinics
  • Local rocksax meetings
  • Rocksax "karaoke" evenings
  • Buy lot's of CD's from more or less kown rocksax players
  • To have rocksaxphonists to come over here from USA
  • The meaingless (not to!!!) Rocksax paper
  • Play hard, full volume, "loud" ... rocksax.
  • Travel (I'm a home loving man!) to meet interesting rocksax players
I don't know so much about classic or jazz saxophone so I spend my time and money on rocksax.
My next project is to have the Rock & Roll Saxophone cargobike rolling. To play rocksax for 45-60 minutes. Good for my health, environment and also a good way to spread Rocksax.

Keep On Honkin' and Rock On!