All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

What's Your Playing Stance?

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Doing a little bit of digging on Body Awareness, Posture, Qi Gong (or any other body 'awareness' form of exercise) I found a couple of Internet pages relating to the two. He references some kind of old School Sax Learning system in the first diagram and then mentions John Harle, who I know has some views that some might seem a bit 'esoteric' . There's a second page linked at the bottom of the page with some info on posture and Qi Gong standing exercises.

Back in the 90's. I had a series of Singing lessons with a very characterful lady, in Southampton. She was essentially an Alexander Technique Teacher, who used her knowledge to work with singers. There was a lot of sitting on those big inflatable balls and other posture exercises that allow the body to find its natural posture and allow more efficient singing technique.

Years later I had a few lessons from another Teacher in Southampton. Great guy who seemed to live almost exclusively on Bananas! We worked on relaxation exercises to help free up the voice.

Any Horn players work with any 'systems' like yoga, pilates, Alexander or Feldenkrais for general health and Sax playing?

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Who is this Nikki? Personally, I think the lean back while playing needs expertise and total confidence to pull off, so this guy is clearly a Pro. I never lean back when I play because I'd bum a note and no doubt put my back out of joint. I also admire the Suit and very comfortable shoes combo :)
His name is Mike Murley and he was born and raised in Canada but travels the world with his Murley/ Braid Quartet. Here’s a picture of the rest of them and they truly are amazing. Mike also played with a jazz band that started in the late seventies which I used to be a part of and here they are together however the stand up base player isn’t seen. This picture was taken 2 years ago. His main instrument is tenor saxophone but he also plays the soprano.
67693A2E-1611-49F2-BD1C-924E71184AAB.jpeg

And this is me having my picture taken with them.
08CCB194-4C90-4CCB-8F2E-6D6E06BB30F0.jpeg

LAP13

Usually on my right hip/thigh (tenor) but I move around a lot so tend to pull some weird ass shapes - not always great for the sound but the section I work with we like to put on a bit of a show, even if it's daft at times. The beauty of a clip mic, much to most sound engineer's disdain.

I don't recommend above the head, bit like trying to drink upside down, it doesn't work well. Wandering round the audience and ending up on the floor used to be pretty standard - I'm still to do the walking along the bar thing...

100_2292.JPG
facebook_-1698288225.jpg

Taz

Busking Oracle
Usually on my right hip/thigh (tenor) but I move around a lot so tend to pull some weird ass shapes - not always great for the sound but the section I work with we like to put on a bit of a show, even if it's daft at times. The beauty of a clip mic, much to most sound engineer's disdain.

I don't recommend above the head, bit like trying to drink upside down, it doesn't work well. Wandering round the audience and ending up on the floor used to be pretty standard - I'm still to do the walking along the bar thing...

View attachment 14684 View attachment 14686
Love the shot in the wedding dress!

Jazzaferri

When I play tenor (SML) in order to be able to use the palm keys ergonomically the thumbhook and thumb Are resting on my right hip. I move around a fair bit so feet are wherever but there is generally some body angle. Similar with alto (Keilwerth) but not as extreme as palm keys are adjustable. For me, the most important thing is my wrists and fingers are in unstrained positions. Already fighting with L Thumb RSI.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom