support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories what next strap?

HI Elinor

Sometimes there is much made of a strap but you don't need necessarily need to spend the earth.
To be honest most are up to the job.
A sturdy / secure hook and comfort have to be the main things I suppose.
There are so many variations out there that you may just end up choosing the one you like the look of.
If you are going to use it against the skin for extended periods then I would say look for soft and wide woven fabric type. That would not be so important if you typically wear a collar and have the strap over that.
BG have a good range.
The best I have come across is very expensive though. Its called a De Jaques.
Another highly recommended one is the Cebular which isn't cheap either and the leather can leave you feeling clammy if used on bare skin.
Good Luck!

I guess you're asking the wrong question. Would be better to ask what to look for in a strap.

Avoid the ol fashioned straps with open hooks, thin neck bands. Similarly avoid the supe cheap nylon staps, they're not comfortable.

1 - Hook - should be closed with a spring loaded clip, strong and preferably plastic, carbon or glass reinforced, not metal as this can damage the sax finish and be noisy. Make sure the spring is strong enough to stop the clip from opening at unwante times. Hook should also have a swivel in it. Examine the hook/lock carefully - the last thing you want is this failing when you're not holding the sax... If the swivel is a touch rough, cork grease can help a lot.
2 - Adjuster - needs to have sufficient range for you, but range is really decided by strap size. Different saxes have the hook ring in different places, so if you have a thick neck, or a sax with a low ring, you may need a slightly bigger strap. Adjuster should have a smooth action with the weight of the sax on the strap, but shouldn't slip, which can be very irritating. Some adjusters don't have a very smooth action, this depends partly on the cord.
3 - Neck band. This takes the main weight of the sax and distributes it across your neck/shoulders. It needs to be soft and comfortable, but not so soft that it curls up into a thin band. Padding needs to be fim, but not so fim that it doesn't adjust to your neck. Some people find that the strap puts pressure on the spine and gives problems with pressure on nerves, the Cebulla is designed to avoid this and succeeds. The neck band needs to breath, otherwise they become sticky/sweaty. One solution is to make sure that there's a thin cloth between the strap and your neck - a thick shirt collar may work, but isn't an option with a t-shirt. Soft leather's OK, but can, as Saxlicker said, get uncomfortable/sticky. One other issue with the neckband is that the cords joined to it can dig into you neck on some straps. Especially the ends.
4 - If you have problems with neck/shoulders, consider a harness.

Overall the strap should feel comfortable with the full weight of the sax on it. Some straps may need a little breaking in, my Cebulla has become more comfortable as I use it more. Adjustment should allow you to get the mouthpiece exactly where you need it for playing, with a reasonable amount of adjustment either side so that you can have a slouchy day or play sitting if needed.

I guess you're asking the wrong question. Would be better to ask what to look for in a strap.

Avoid the ol fashioned straps with open hooks, thin neck bands. Similarly avoid the supe cheap nylon staps, they're not comfortable.

1 - Hook - should be closed with a spring loaded clip, strong and preferably plastic, carbon or glass reinforced, not metal as this can damage the sax finish and be noisy. Make sure the spring is strong enough to stop the clip from opening at unwante times. Hook should also have a swivel in it...

that shows how difficult it is to advise on these things.

Your description of the type to avoid is a near perfect description of the type I use, and love... open metal hook - yes got that, thin strap - yes, swivel - no don't need that... it suits me fine, I wouldn't change it for anything else. I used to have a wide strap and found it a right nuisance, too bulky.

Phil

that shows how difficult it is to advise on these things.

Your description of the type to avoid is a near perfect description of the type I use, and love... open metal hook - yes got that, thin strap - yes, swivel - no don't need that... it suits me fine, I wouldn't change it for anything else. I used to have a wide strap and found it a right nuisance, too bulky.

Phil

:)))

each to his own!

Hi,
I tend to suffer from back and neck ache something rotten after only half hour or so playing. So, for me when I found a harness to hook my JK tenor up to it was a minor miracle. No pain and lots of gain. Just a BG harness.
Ben

BG harness is great for me! I don't know how anyone copes with a strap - too painful!

there's a very good strap - the BG shoulder strap...simplicity in itself, it's very easy to wear (unlike any harness I've tried so far) and if it starts to weight on one shoulder you can simply swap it for the other shoulder (as simple as that).
Having stated the above, I do like the Neotec Soft Harness - I bought it one recently for my tenor and is doing a good job but I'm starting to get a tingling left thumb sometime - I guess it depends on how one wears it cos' sometimes I get no tingling (no such problems with the shoulder strap).

I do like the Neotec Soft Harness - I bought it one recently for my tenor and is doing a good job but I'm starting to get a tingling left thumb sometime - I guess it depends on how one wears it cos' sometimes I get no tingling (no such problems with the shoulder strap).
I have a neotech soft harness and have a similar problem with thumb 'pain' - I have found that because of the 'fixed' position of the sax with the harness, I'm supporting it on my left thumb! Because of this I use a neckstrap when poss!

I use harness or shoulder strap but I prefer a harness. From alto to baritone. I can't say what's best. I don't like to have things around my neck! I prefer a slight pressure over my cheast. I'm that kind of person! I makes me feel good and when I feel good I play better as well. A padded harness is comportable but after a while they starts to smell. So a plain black BG harness för me.

Thomas

I have a neotech soft harness and have a similar problem with thumb 'pain' - I have found that because of the 'fixed' position of the sax with the harness, I'm supporting it on my left thumb! Because of this I use a neckstrap when poss!

If that was the case I would feel the same "pain" with other harnesses (I have 3 of them).
The tingling I get (sometimes) has to do with some obstructions in the blood flow....I suspect the side slings are to blame and depending on different settings one can find a good solution...finding the right balance with the front and two side pullers can be a factor (I suspect - as I'm new to this harness).