support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax My next step lessons from teacher

dreadnet

Locality
London
Any ideas about amount frequency?

Had approx a lesson once a week for 4 months back in the mid 90's, hadn't blown a sax since 2000.
Now proud owner of 2 alto and one tenor.
I practice 5 days a week.

Thanks

Patrick

Last edited:
Depends on your budget and what availability your chosen teacher has - I have one lesson every week - a lot of teachers seem to go for the default of every other week due to number of students that they have.

Playing for fun so mostly looking for the teacher to give pointers on my playing, practice plan and errors.
Probably looking at a 1 month once a week tuition for a start.

How much can you learn in a week? Month? Year? I had a clarinet lesson and attended some theory lessons in the 1980's and a few piano lessons late 1960's. Still processing the info.
Go at your own rate.

Once a week seems like far too often to me, it's barely enough time to absorb and practice anything of any value. Two weeks is better but still a bit of a push. If you are being given a well structured programme then once a month should be enough. A lot of teachers seem to like setting up regular sessions, the most obvious reason is that it provides them with a regular income, this isn't a reflection on the quality of their teaching but I think you need a teacher that you can go to when you need it not when it suits them. Then, as Colin said, you can go at your own rate.

I think it better to see a teacher 3 times each week for two months. And then take break from the teacher and do other things: Join a rehearsal group, go to jams, meet a non-teaching saxophonist for playing by ear/memory .... for two months. Of course, practice and repeat the stuff you've learned from your teacher as well.

Once a week seems like far too often to me, it's barely enough time to absorb and practice anything of any value. Two weeks is better but still a bit of a push. If you are being given a well structured programme then once a month should be enough. A lot of teachers seem to like setting up regular sessions, the most obvious reason is that it provides them with a regular income, this isn't a reflection on the quality of their teaching but I think you need a teacher that you can go to when you need it not when it suits them. Then, as Colin said, you can go at your own rate.
Sounds like a plan, Will try and find one from a woodwind Teacher website.

And don't forget to go listen to some pro's play. Maybe check out a teacher at a gig. Find one that you want to play like.

Back
Top Bottom