PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces what mouthpiece?

oldblower

Locality
basingstoke
Now i know this has been asked before but bare with me.

The Jupiter went back today and with it the jupiter mouthpiece and the rico royal C5 that i had been using and had hoped to keep. In the box with my old tenor was an old wooden, i think, alto mouthpiece so have that atm, it seems to play ok.

Now the hard part, as i stated in a previous post the trumpet is my first love but have to say i find i like to relax with the sax, i play softly and mostly ballads or west coast jazz bits and pieces. Should i persist with the old unknown mp or save up for one that will last me for as long as i play.

Over to you guys.

save up for one that will last me for as long as i play.

I find one like that every 11 months, according with a personal statistic based on few decades experience.

But I don't understand one thing: are you playing an alto piece on a tenor?

If you like the West Coast Jazz sound try and get hold of a Phil-Tone Solstice mouthpiece - excellent for a Desmond like sound. If you want a cheaper option try the Windcraft Etude alto mouthpiece from Dawkes, which I reviewed earlier this year! http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories/windcraft+ebonite+alto+sax+mouthpiece+-amw402.html . If you want an even cheaper option buy a Bari Esprit II Alto mouthpiece which is only £14 from Ackerman Music - Bari Esprit Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece which I also reviewed recently - I rate it higher than the Rico B5 which I tried by comparison.

Kind regards
Tom

Agree with the point above about buying mouthpieces, but my favourite alto mouthpiece - Phil-Tone Aurora - is still going strong after 3 years!

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were happy with the Rico, I'd get one of them and leave it at that. It'll probably outlast you... And probably outlast all the forum members.

I find one like that every 11 months, according with a personal statistic based on few decades experience.

But I don't understand one thing: are you playing an alto piece on a tenor?

Its an alto and an alto mouthpiece.

If you like the West Coast Jazz sound try and get hold of a Phil-Tone Solstice mouthpiece - excellent for a Desmond like sound. If you want a cheaper option try the Windcraft Etude alto mouthpiece from Dawkes, which I reviewed earlier this year! http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories/windcraft+ebonite+alto+sax+mouthpiece+-amw402.html . If you want an even cheaper option buy a Bari Esprit II Alto mouthpiece which is only £14 from Ackerman Music - Bari Esprit Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece which I also reviewed recently - I rate it higher than the Rico B5 which I tried by comparison.

Kind regards
Tom

Agree with the point above about buying mouthpieces, but my favourite alto mouthpiece - Phil-Tone Aurora - is still going strong after 3 years!

Kind regards
Tom

A large part of me wanted the phil-tone until i checked the price!!! guess it will be the bari for me. Unless anyone has any better ideas or wants to trade a phil-tone for a trumpet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I find one like that every 11 months, according with a personal statistic based on few decades experience

The search for the right mouthpiece is never-ending. I now use a standard Vandoren tenor mouthpiece, but every now and again I wonder whether something like Phil-Tone (or another brand) might be better. One thing that stops me is that I really do not know whether, for example, an Equinox would actually be a step forward with the small tip openings I use (I mean, whwther it would be worth the effort). Maybe one day I will reach enlightenment on this point.

Plus one for the Solstice

Another That ifyou get a good one is greatis an old Brilhart Personaline. L5 ish. I have both and they are similar.

Going with the Solstice is a bit more money but guarantees success.

Plus one for the Solstice

Another That ifyou get a good one is greatis an old Brilhart Personaline. L5 ish. I have both and they are similar.

Going with the Solstice is a bit more money but guarantees success.

Is the Solstice as sweet as the Brilhart?

A large part of me wanted the phil-tone until i checked the price!!! guess it will be the bari for me. Unless anyone has any better ideas or wants to trade a phil-tone for a trumpet?

I currently have 5 Phil-Tone mouthpieces and 6 trumpets (Geneva Balanced Silver Plate, Geneva Balanced LH Gold Plate, Reynolds Argenta, Conn Connstellation Long Cornet, Weril Regium II Cornet & Weril Regium II Flugelhorn, so probably won't take up your generous offer......

Give the Bari Esprit II a try - it was recently discussed on Cafe Sax: http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread...-Debut-Alto-Sax-mouthpiece!&p=78859#post78859 . SAXPA's posts are very helpful in this regard.

Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

I currently have 5 Phil-Tone mouthpieces and 6 trumpets (Geneva Balanced Silver Plate, Geneva Balanced LH Gold Plate, Reynolds Argenta, Conn Connstellation Long Cornet, Weril Regium II Cornet & Weril Regium II Flugelhorn, so probably won't take up your generous offer......

Give the Bari Esprit II a try - it was recently discussed on Cafe Sax: http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread...-Debut-Alto-Sax-mouthpiece!&p=78859#post78859 . SAXPA's posts are very helpful in this regard.

Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

Think thats a lot of trumpets, and mouthpieces, will give the bari a try, just looked at the tag on your listing and thats a few saxophones too, thanks for the advice. will check out the post you suggest now.

:w00t: Just ordered the Bari Esprit II from ackermans, will let you know how i get on when it arrives. can't wait.

I'll just give my Bari Esprit II a blow on my alto, to celebrate - especially as it came from Ackermans too!

The bari arrived and managed to pick up a Meyer G5 recommended by a good friend and i think it was cheap at £30. will play both and make a decision, will get others more gifted to listen and give me advice on what they think sounds best.
Have been ordered to decorate this weekend so not much time for fun, on the upside the boss has decided that a music room is a good idea!!!!!

The bari arrived and managed to pick up a Meyer G5 recommended by a good friend and i think it was cheap at £30. will play both and make a decision, will get others more gifted to listen and give me advice on what they think sounds best.
Others can advise you on what to buy and how to use it. But only you know what sounds best, because only you know what you want to sound like. Me? I want to sound like Sonny Rollins on tenor and Harry Carney on baritone. Should keep me busy for a while...

Bari Esprit II mouthpiece for the alto arrived today, from Ackerman in the UK. Very prompt service from them - ordered on Sept 1 - a Saturday - and here in Hong Kong just over a week later.

Played it a bit tonight (lip still a bit iffy after the session yesterday) and it really is excellent. Very strong tone and very even intonation all over the sax.

I just ordered the tenor version as well – same price.

Great news! At £14 it is awesome! The tenor Esprit II has not yet been made but the Esprit sounds pretty good.
Ackerman are excellent to deal with.

Kind regards
Tom

Have been ordered to decorate this weekend so not much time for fun, on the upside the boss has decided that a music room is a good idea!!!!!

SO what was the final decision, and how do you feel about your choice now you've become accustomed to it? :)

Settled on the Meyer 5 for me its an easier blow and I prefer the tone, the bari is going to be used by my daughter as she has decided to try sax!!!

Back
Top Bottom