support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures What Ligature for Hanson Alto with Vandoren Optimum?

Steve John B

Locality
Harrogate
Ello,

I've just bought a Hanson SA5 on eBay, and it's arrived without a ligature. So no horrible squeaks yet (I'm a beginner!).

It has come with a Vandoren Optimum AL4 mouthpiece so I haven't done too badly if the prices on the internet are anything to go by. Any hints on which ligature to get? Would a dark Rovner do the job?

While I'm here, what else do I need to get (it came with nothing else). I assume strap, pullthough cloth, and some oil for the neck/body connection (?) would be the minimum. And reeds!

Thanks!

Any ligature that fits. Rovners are fine - they don't slip.

Don't oil/grease the neck body joint - just keep it clean.

You could add cork grease to your list, but Vaseline would do.

While you're waiting for your ligature you can make one up using a large elastic band ( or several small ones ). All that's needed is for the reed to be held in place sufficiently so that it doesn't shift position when you play.
I have a number of clients who will use nothing else.

Regards,

I agree that any lig which fits will do just fine. As Stephen says, don't wait for the new lig to arrive to start playing - rubber bands work fine. I've also used electrician's tape as well, works perfectly well. Not as adjustable as rubber bands...

Rovner or other similar fabric ligs are all fine, as long as you get one to fit.

I'm using a BG lig on an Optimum on a Hanson.

Hi There!

For a good deal do have a look at www.rapidreeds.com - they stock Rico Ligatures, excellent Rico straps (I have the padded strap and the cheaper alternative), both of which have excellent metal hooks. They also have sets of reeds in 3's as well as the more usual box of 10. Do try 1.5 or 2 strength reeds to see what suits - the Optimum mouthpiece has a small tip opening so a 2 should be OK. BG do good Chamois Leather pull throughs.

Regarding Ligatures the Rovners are easy to put on and tighten (not too much!), but the Dark can muffle the sound more than the Light or other ligatures (the new Rovner Star is excellent at £12) and fabric ligatures usually produce a less clear sound than a metal one - such as the Rico - but these are usually 2 screw, so more fiddly to put on. Several firms produce 1 screw metal ligatures - Selmer, Francois Louis (Basic), BG - I use the FL, which is great (most resonant sound).

My recommendation is to investigate Rovner, Rico and BG products for the items that you require, and let us know how you get on. I hope that you really enjoy learning/playing sax!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

My recommendation is to investigate Rovner, Rico and BG products for the items that you require, and let us know how you get on. I hope that you really enjoy learning/playing sax!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

I bought a basic Rico ligature, but it kept slipping so my teacher told me to get a Rovner. I got a Dark, it's much easier to use than the Rico and it stays in place. Not good enough yet to worry if the tone is right - but enjoying it so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve!

Glad that things are going well. Some people put mouthpiece patches on the top of mouthpieces to provide some grip for metal ligatures - but the 2 screw metal ligs can be a faff (there are 1 screw metal ligs - Selmer, BG, Francois Louis). The Rovner Dark I have found can dull the tone, so have some Rovner EVO-5's which are good, without any slippage.

kind regards
Tom

Back
Top Bottom