support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What have you been offered while busking?

Played at a park near my home in summer.
S and BJ from both men and women
I wonder if it was to stop my:banana: playing....I must have been really bad for them to go to such lengths.

I know what you mean about courage, and the first time I went out was quite a challenge, but I think it depends on your mindset. My view was... I am practicing in public. Nobody has paid to see me. I will make mistakes, but it doesn't matter. Most people will just walk past anyway, and anyone who appreciates my efforts will put some money in my case. I get loads of positive feedback - kiddies dancing etc.

You'll have to hope this guy doesn't walk past you:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E62iA6KCIQ

Back in the days of my old street band I used to collect all the various things which ended up in our bass case which weren't legitimate local currency- I had a vast array of car wash tokens, Mexican pesos, bottle caps etc. The psychology of how these had ended up with us always intrigued me...
The best offer we ever got was to go and play street festival gig in Paris- we were sceptical at the time but it was legit & a great time was had by all (though it was at the time of the Paris world Cup and we had the surreal experience of sharing a motel with the Cameroon supporter's club... we arrived just after they had been knocked out of the competition….not a good vibe!)

I don't think you're ready to play in public yet. Two hours is a very long time to endure a beginner showing their lack of skill. The food and drink were to suggest you should do something else with your mouth.

People standing on street corners making a vaguely musical noise on a very loud instrument to people who have done nothing to deserve it can alienate the public and local traders. It can attract the Police as a public nuisance and encourage the council to pass bylaws to prohibit the practice.

I don't think you're ready to play in public yet. Two hours is a very long time to endure a beginner showing their lack of skill. The food and drink were to suggest you should do something else with your mouth.

People standing on street corners making a vaguely musical noise on a very loud instrument to people who have done nothing to deserve it can alienate the public and local traders. It can attract the Police as a public nuisance and encourage the council to pass bylaws to prohibit the practice.

I'm reading the above as a heavily Anglicised interpretation of the video in post #29

'Large, miffed English Man writes disapproving message to Saxophone player in Ringwood Town Centre'

I respect a lot of CtB’s views due to his vast experience, but not the above statement.
I agree partially about not being ready to play in public, but are there any rules about being ‘ready’ ?

I recently went to a Q&A session with Andy Shepard and one of the questions asked was “When did you first join a band” his answer was 3 weeks after picking the sax up !!
He said he knew he wasn’t good enough but knew it would improve him as a player !!
“If you get the chance to play get out there and play, who cares”
Andys words not mine

When I first started learning to play, I had in mind that one day I would like to busk either with sax or guitar, as a way of collecting money for a wildlife charity that I feel strongly about. I can’t think of any other reason why I would busk because I don’t have the confidence to do so, solo.

When I first started learning to play, I had in mind that one day I would like to busk either with sax or guitar, as a way of collecting money for a wildlife charity that I feel strongly about. I can’t think of any other reason why I would busk because I don’t have the confidence to do so, solo.
Maybe there are some other wildlife charity members you could busk with, you could start a band

That's a great reason to go busking Alice. It is great fun, and really, I have never had a negative comment while I've been busking. I'm sure many people don't think I'm very good, and they just walk straight past, but I get lots of positive comments, little kiddies dancing in front of me, and their mums joining in. Other musicians coming up for a chat and saying how much they enjoy playing such and such a song.
I recommend it. It's a great way to step out of your comfort zone and grow as a musician.

That's a great reason to go busking Alice. It is great fun, and really, I have never had a negative comment while I've been busking. I'm sure many people don't think I'm very good, and they just walk straight past, but I get lots of positive comments, little kiddies dancing in front of me, and their mums joining in. Other musicians coming up for a chat and saying how much they enjoy playing such and such a song.
I recommend it. It's a great way to step out of your comfort zone and grow as a musician.
That’s so heartwarming and friendly. It makes me feel very happy to read that.