What have you been offered while busking?

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
. He’s also graced with a sweet, kind, generous and humble personality.
I enjoyed your video @Chris Smith UK as I have enjoyed all of the videos you’ve posted since you started.
Not only do I agree 100% with your assessment, but I would also say @Chris Smith UK has an indomitable spirit. His videos have received plenty of feedback, some of it blunt and fairly harsh and he handles it like a champ. There are plenty who would have been crushed.

Think of the advice given to beginners: get a teacher, practice daily, find opportunities to play with other musicians. Many beginners ignore some or all of these. Chris does every single one of them! He can't help but continue to improve. I'm a fan!

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Not only do I agree 100% with your assessment, but I would also say @Chris Smith UK has an indomitable spirit. His videos have received plenty of feedback, some of it blunt and fairly harsh and he handles it like a champ. There are plenty who would have been crushed.

Think of the advice given to beginners: get a teacher, practice daily, find opportunities to play with other musicians. Many beginners ignore some or all of these. Chris does every single one of them! He can't help but continue to improve. I'm a fan!
Another piece of advice offered, is to record your progress too!

AndyWhiteford

Chris, I enjoyed the story & video,
Can I perhaps suggest that you have a look at how those chords for "Summertime" are sitting under your alto melody,
the BIAB backing doesn't sound quite in the same key to my old ears.
"Summertime, and the livin' is easy", as you played it, should be over a concert D minor,
then concert G minor for "Fish are jumpin'...",
I don't like criticising on open forum, just trying to help out. Keep on busking ;-)

randulo

19 months of alto
Subscriber
the BIAB backing doesn't sound quite in the same key to my old ears.
Hi @Chris Smith UK, Andy's comment made me go back and listen. Summertime is often played in Am concert and the track seems to be in that key. Your first notes (Su-mer-time) should be E C E (concert). All our comments are meant to be constructive. Years ago a sax player told me "listen to the bass if you want to learn the changes" which was good advice.

s.mundi

Hi @Chris Smith UK, Andy's comment made me go back and listen. Summertime is often played in Am concert and the track seems to be in that key. Your first notes (Su-mer-time) should be E C E (concert). All our comments are meant to be constructive. Years ago a sax player told me "listen to the bass if you want to learn the changes" which was good advice.

I disagree with both of you... My philosophy is simple. If I play an F instead of C, it's because the universe guided me in that direction. When I play with conviction, there is no such thing as "wrong notes" (even in the melody)...

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I disagree with both of you... My philosophy is simple. If I play an F instead of C, it's because the universe guided me in that direction. When I play with conviction, there is no such thing as "wrong notes" (even in the melody)...
I've taught kids like that.
Don't ever try playing in an orchestra. ;)

Top Bottom