• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Playing the saxophone What does professional musician mean?

The thing to do be in a, closed shop, guild.
Then the Guild decides who's called what, what's the training, how much is paid, how much of that is kicked-up through to the Guild Grand Poobah etc.
That is how: Law, Engineering, Medicine, Accountancy, Academia and religion work now.
Want to be a professional? Tick these professional development boxes and send us $£€500 per annum.
A good summary of what's wrong with the world
 
It gets even more complicated when you ask Google: "what is the relationship between professional and professor"

Anwer: All professors are professionals, but not all professionals are professors.

After some decades in academia I don't really subscribe to this point of view but I thought I throw it in because the answer is a wonderful example of black and white thinking missing the point.

And after digesting this thread, I come to the conclusion that professional is foremost a state of mind. What you do with it is up to you or ascii code 42.

And if it is a state of mind, it is also volatile, which explains the amateurish behavior that we see on and off.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,295
Messages
577,061
Members
8,093
Latest member
nilocssss
Back
Top Bottom