Tutorials

What are you listening to (plus reviews)

OP
Jules

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Not sure if I've posted this before but here's an absolutely cracking, and more than a little demented, version of the old gospel classic, I'll Fly Away. We encore with this tune when I play with Urban Voodoo Machine- I find it both incredibly uplifting and deeply moving at the same time (as, I suppose, is appropriate for a funeral song)

Keep Blowing

Commercial Café Supporter
Not sure if I've posted this before but here's an absolutely cracking, and more than a little demented, version of the old gospel classic, I'll Fly Away. We encore with this tune when I play with Urban Voodoo Machine- I find it both incredibly uplifting and deeply moving at the same time (as, I suppose, is appropriate for a funeral song)
I think I've heard these guys on New Orleans Radio

Ivan

Undecided
Mammal Hands are a favourite down here too.. If you've not also discovered The Portico Quartet- may I recommend them too.. in a similar vein
Saw them live in Edinburgh and I left early

They need a precise sound set-up to convey the music... Instead the gig was aural mud

OP
Jules

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Um...
European tradition rather than USA.
Don't mind playing slowly and quietly.
Er...
Not yer usual jazz changes?
To me, the oprano sax- particularly in Portico Quartet- sounds more influenced by fiddle music than the sax tradition. The phrasing is very Klezmer or Celtic at times

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
This came up on YouTube for some reason,. It's not the sort of thing I would normally listen to but I do like this guy's sound/tone. I also like the way he works with the vocalist, this question is probably for @randulo what effects are added to his playing?

View: https://youtu.be/ZWCpQlmbWso
Very good. Do you think there are effects added to the Sax? To me it just sounds like a great tone straight off the bat, or out of the bell..

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
Yeah, sounds like a really nice sax sound for the music and a good recording.

Saxlicker

All a bit sterile and cringe worthy to me.
Now my mother used to tell me if you can't say something nice don't say it all - so I mention this as my critique only. I so want stuff like that to be performed sincerely enough to grab me.

Top Bottom