support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones What are the extra keys for?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Spotted this and it got me wondering... I see three extra keys...

The long one to the left, and two additional ones between D/E & E/F. What are they for?
Also, what model is the Selmer?

Thanks for any info.

The pearl between E and F is G# trill.
The pearl between E and D is an Eb - it bring down the vented D key.

Not sure about the extra touchpiece on the side top E. It can't be functional because if you pressed it down, the other end of the key has nowhere to go. Maybe it's a hand rest of some sort?

It looks vaguely like a Modele 22, or a variation thereof.

Thanks Steve. Do these help any with the extra touchpiece?...

Doesn't that neck look a bit peculiar ? Maybe just that it shows signs of a very long cork having been fitted in the past, reaching almost to the octave key.

I like the look of the horn. There is a member called Douglas Pipher on SOTW who has access to lots of original Selmer factory records and can probably tell you more about this particular instrument. Have a look at these SOTW threads:

Improved Selmer Serial Number Chart 1927 - 1999

Selmer Mod?le 26 - an ongoing study

Selmer S?rie 1922 / Modele 22 - an ongoing study

Selmer Radio Improved Production - an ongoing study

Rhys

Doesn't that neck look a bit peculiar ? Maybe just that it shows signs of a very long cork having been fitted in the past, reaching almost to the octave key.

It's either the result of an extremely poor mouthpiece cork job...or some damage has been repaired. It's not uncommon on old crooks to find that the seam splits from the tip downwards, usually as a result of corrosion.

If one examines the photos...It appears the extra side key routes all the way UP the horn, atop the high E key, and terminates in an armature connecting to the Front F rocker, no ?
That F rocker looks fairly complex.
Does the key operate the F rocker ? It could be an alt high F key ?

Yeah, it lifts the top F - so it's just another trill key. I hate trilling.
Oops, yeah, there ya' go...missed this reply initially...

Also...old Holtons had a touch in this exact location - which actually was an Alt high Eb. But in order for it to do that, the portion of the rocker this key connects to would need to bypass the F palm (passing beneath it ?) and engage the Eb palm (i.e. the rocker would actually made up of 2 key barrels on the same pivot rod). I doubt the rocker is 2 rockers based on that pic, tho.

And wow...a Selmer take on the lower stack Fork Eb key...usung double cups instead of the usual small tonehole at side/rear of body tube. Interesting.

Last edited:
The photo below shows my Buffet Evette-Crampon "semi Apogee" system that has the same type "piggyback" key atop the D allowing a D to Eb trill with the 3rd finger of the right hand. On my soprano the small touch that closes both the D and the E keys with the 2nd finger allowing the 3rd finger to operate the "trill key" is in a comfortable location. The similar mechanism in the photos with the dual purpose key located so far in back seems to be in a much more awkward position IMO. The three "levers" adjacent to the lower stack are alternate fingerings for low Bb, B, and C# that are operated with the 2nd finger that is free when the D and E are closed using one key. If I ever run across a solo with a low Bb to B trill in it, I will be ready. :)

Many of the earlier models of saxophones circa 1920 seemed to feature trill keys that made it easier to do trills that would otherwise have to be done using the little fingers of both hands. My theory is that this reflected the abundance of trills found in popular solo literature for the saxophone such as those performed by RudyWiedhoeft and his contemporaries.

1570638741974.jpeg

My baritone has a similar extra key between the right-hand E and F, presumably for trilling (G# or something I think, but I never use it so can't be sure). It's actually quite annoying sometimes because it flaps up and down and can hit my finger if I let my right hand relax a bit. Personally I think it would be better off without it and have thought a couple of times about removing it.

It's a 1950s Franz Köhler BTW.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom