support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wessex Band Summer School - Sturminster Marshall

PaulM

Locality
West Berks
My wife was busy a-surfin' the web and came across this:

http://www.wessexband.com/

I must say, it looks like a lot of fun. She's keen on the pair of us going next year as we both have things that allegedly make music when you blow into them. Are there any forum members that have been before who could give us an idea of what it's like?

Cheers, Paul

My wife was busy a-surfin' the web and came across this:

I must say, it looks like a lot of fun. She's keen on the pair of us going next year as we both have things that allegedly make music when you blow into them. Are there any forum members that have been before who could give us an idea of what it's like?

Cheers, Paul

Sorry I didn't notice this post earlier.
I've attended this in 2012, 2010 on tenor and 2008 on alto when it was at Bournemouth. I can't speak of the senior bands but I found the training band very worthwhile. It amazes me how daunting music on monday becomes a credible public performance on saturday. Tutors and conductors are true enthusiasts, meals are cheap and camping available if you need it - I never have. For £100 you can't go wrong unless, like me, you don't get paid holidays. I will break the alternate year pattern and go again in 2013.
Steve

Thanks Dr Smeg. That is very useful.

My wife and I have already booked for this year and we're going to be staying at a local B&B. We're looking forward to the course very much. My better half will be playing in the senior band with her flute, while I'll be in the training band with my alto. I did consider taking my tenor, but I chickened out as I've only had it a few months and haven't yet got a sufficiently developed tenor embouchure to stop the damn thing squeaking up the top end.

Please come and introduce yourself when you're there - and that goes for any other Cafe members too.

This looks good but does seem to be aimed more at young persons and I being of senior years feel I may be a bit out of place.
Perhaps some others can correct me. As I may go.

I believe the training band originally started for juniors but certainly is not now. It's maybe 50/50 adults to kids or teenagers. They're obviously not typical teenagers as they voluntarily spend a week at band school without having to log on to Facebook every three minutes. It's a really good mix; I will be sixty by July and I know of at least one alto player there in his seventies. You can be old and still be below grade five. Where else can you go?
The senior wind band and brass band are both much more adult but not exclusively. I'm sure you could change from one to the other if your initial choice was uncomfortable.

Steve

Quick question to those who have been before...

How intense are the days.

I would love to do this but not sure I'm physically up to it. My problem is I'm disabled and cant stand or sit for more than 30-60 minutes without having to take a break and literally put my legs up for at least 30 mins. Also I cant stand unaided (use crutches) so can only play sat down.

It is quiet intense. All playing is sitting down with maybe two hours up to tea break, a further two hours to lunch then two hours after that. As able bodied, I don't really notice but there are lots of stairs as I recall. As it's run at a large school it must meet DDA. Try emailing the organisers for reassurance.

Steve

Thanks for the reply. That was roughly what I'd imagined. I might manage one day but not a week. I will email them just to confirm.

Well it's got me interested, just looking to sort out accomodation.

I would like to draw to everyone's attention that the venue for the above Summer School is not as posted but is actually Sturminster Newton which is some considerable distance away.

In my case this has caused some inconvenience as I booked accomodation close to where I thought the course was being held and have now had to cancel that reservation and seek alternative accomodation.

Regards.

That'll be my fault for typing in the wrong name. Sorry.

That's ok Paul, no problem, I have booked for the training band and just in process of finding accomodation.
Look forward to seeing you there.
Dave.

Paul, thanks for posting this. What a brilliant forum this is! No way I'd have found about this otherwise.

Same problem as Steve here... whether to take a week off with out pay to attend, and does that mean not having a summer holiday in the sun somewhere... decisions decisions.

Has anyone signed up for this this year? I've emailed them 3 times without response. Anyone had any contact with them?

Yes I have booked up for July/August week. Its actually at Sturminster Newton which is some distance from S. Marshall.
I make the mistake of booking accommodation in the wrong place and had to change it.

Here's Howards email address

howbland********

Dave.

Regards

Yes I have booked up for July/August week. Its actually at Sturminster Newton which is some distance from S. Marshall.
I make the mistake of booking accommodation in the wrong place and had to change it.

Here's Howards email address

howbland********

Dave.

Regards

Many thanks indeed Dave. I've dropped Howard a line.

Cheers.

Unfortunately I have had to pull out of taking part in this due to having to go into hospital for surgery.
So if anybody id thinking of going, i have also had to cancel my B&B accommodation nearby.
If anyone is interested please let me know.
I understand there is another couple staying there at the same time who are taking part in the Summer School.