support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Weinberg Emanon Double Chamber / Double Baffle Mouthpiece

My experience too, good service (outsanding, actually), good value and good work. He's a really nice chap, too.

I don't know why, possibly the "Prof" thing and the commendation from Bill Clinton, but I had imagined that he is American, but he seems to talk just like a true Brit !

As a sweeping generalisation, all the mouthpiece refacers and makers that I have spoken to have been really pleasant to deal with and just to talk with - that includes Geoff Lawton, Ed Pillinger, Lawrie Waldron, Bill Wrathall, Morgan Fry and now Anton Weinberg.

Rhys

I traveled to Dawkes a little while ago when I was in mouthpiece hell - couldn't get a setup that worked for me, Anton very patiently listened to my situation and then recommended a different tip opening/reed combination and the difference is night and day, easy blowing with a lovely warm tone that I was after.

I don't know why, possibly the "Prof" thing and the commendation from Bill Clinton, but I had imagined that he is American, but he seems to talk just like a true Brit !

As a sweeping generalisation, all the mouthpiece refacers and makers that I have spoken to have been really pleasant to deal with and just to talk with - that includes Geoff Lawton, Ed Pillinger, Lawrie Waldron, Bill Wrathall, Morgan Fry and now Anton Weinberg.

Rhys
Of all the alto mps i had i still ended up going back to a Vandoren Jumbo Java mp,thanks to you Rhys for selling it to me.

Of all the alto mps i had i still ended up going back to a Vandoren Jumbo Java mp,thanks to you Rhys for selling it to me.

You're very welcome - it was too big a tip opening for me and also a bit too bright.

Morgan Fry modified a smaller tip Jumbo Java for me, taking the baffle down a bit and that's now a really nice piece that I like to play - but the Emanon alto is a bit more "boppy" and the sound really rings. It probably helps that the tip opening is a Selmer D which is quite small.

Rhys

This week I went to Dawkes and met Anton Weinberg who was very nice and interesting.

I test played his tenor hard rubber mouthpiece called the Zenith. This seems to be a development of his Emanon model, with a slightly different shape of the baffle scoop. The scoop looks quite a bit different to that on the used Emanon tenor I got from eBay, but very similar to the alto Emanon I bought new last year.

http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories/weinberg+zenith+custom+jazz+tenor+mouthpiece+outfit+-amw610.html

The Zenith is described on the Dawkes website as follows:

The Saxophone mouthpiece is available in many designs. This absolutely unique model combines the benefits of two leading mouthpiece makers research. Lawton was working on a new reflector baffle and this is combined with Prof Weinbergs double baffle design to produce a saxophone mouthpiece with a vibrant tone and outstanding projection, that lets the player produce what they want. The Tenor version is designed with a 1960s Link 7 star facing. The combination of these 3 distinct features brings the saxophonist a unique saxophone mouthpiece.

I absolutely love the tenor Zenith, as it blows really easily and has a great warm sound. I am playing a Selmer Mk7 tenor which has quite a bright sound, but maybe lacks a bit of flexibility - the Zenith seems to bring out the best in the horn. I would say that it is the nicest of the Link HR style pieces that I have played, and has something special about it.

Rhys

PS Now I have got Emanon on alto, Emanon/Zenith on tenor and an 'Emanon-ised' RPC on bari.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhys....
You are the man if I want to know about mouthpieces... :shocked:
Just how many do you have.... I have MKIV which is very sensitive about what MP I use for intonation.
Do you find this on some of your horns or is it just the sound?

Ade

Rhys....
You are the man if I want to know about mouthpieces... :shocked:
Just how many do you have.... I have MKIV which is very sensitive about what MP I use for intonation.
Do you find this on some of your horns or is it just the sound?

Ade

Quite a lot ! I especially enjoy Lawtons, Pillingers, Brilharts and now Weinbergs.

In terms of intonation I generally like the Selmer and Selmer-influenced horns but struggle a bit with some of the vintage saxes (Conns) and larger bore modern horns (Keilwerth, Mauriat).

I don't find my Selmer MkVI or Mk7 to be very picky about mouthpieces - it works fine with high baffle modern pieces (Dukoff, Brilhart Level Air) and lower baffle, large chamber pieces such as Link, Jody Jazz HR etc. Of course it takes a while to find the right reed type and get used to any intonation tendencies.

There are a few quirky notes for tuning on the MkVI, but generally I find it works with a whole lot of mouthpieces - presumably many mouthpiece designers would have used it as their design benchmark.

Which mouthpieces have been bad for you ?

Rhys

Which mouthpieces have been bad for you ?

Rhys

Hi Rhys
It's not so much which has been bad... but trying to find a piece that I like the tone in the high and low register with good control... At the moment I am getting the best results from the Theo Wanne Datta HR 7* with a 3 rico jazz reed.
Do you know anything about the Phil-Tone Eclipse 7*? I would be interested to know your opinion.

Thanks Ade

Do you know anything about the Phil-Tone Eclipse 7*? I would be interested to know your opinion.

I have only played on one Phil-Tone mouthpiece which is an alto Solstice, which is his West Coast model. I bought that recently from eBay for a good price (including a Vandoren Optimum lig which is great). I am impressed by the mouthpiece which does just what it is supposed to in terms of sound and blows easily. It isn't really what I am looking for, much as I enjoy Paul Desmond's sound, but it is a very well made piece.

It's very difficult buying mouthpieces based on other people's descriptions and opinions or even on the sound that other people make. Much better to test play if you can, but that's often not possible.

Good luck

Rhys

PS Two good sources of information on sax mouthpieces that you may be aware of:

1. Steve Neff reviews (with sound clips and comments): Tenor Madness New EBII Tenor Mouthpiece Review

He covers the Phil-Tone Eclipse here: Phil-Tone Eqinox and Eclipse Tenor Saxophone Mouthpieces

2. Dawkes Music sound clips: http://www.dawkes.co.uk/saxophone-mouthpiece-samples.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom