support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

useful ear-training web tool

I have started ear training a month ago. I noticed I have some success in identify ascending interval but hard time in finding descending interval. Is it me or happens with everyone ?

I have started ear training a month ago. I noticed I have some success in identify ascending interval but hard time in finding descending interval. Is it me or happens with everyone ?
I don't know about everyone, but I find descending intervals harder to identify, too. Especially sixths and sevenths. And I've been at it fairly steadily for 3 years, now.

Last edited:
The intervals not found out about these yet .
Oh. Dead simple. Think of the notes in a scale, number them 1-8 from bottom to top. The interval is the gap between the notes. So a fifth is the gap between the first and fifth note of the scale. Unison, or a first, is the same note. Minor intervals are a semitone less than the major intervals. So a minor third is the interval between the first and third notes of a minor scale, 3 semitones instead of 4 semitones for a major third.

Actually there are two types of intervals to learn to recognize in music. They are melodic and harmonic intervals. Melodic intervals are produced when one note is sounded after another. Harmonic intervals are produced when both notes are sounded at the same time.

Harmonic intervals can be grouped according to the "type" of sound.
Sweet close
- major third, minor third,
Sweet open

- major 6th, minor 6th
Sharp dissonace
- minor 2nd, major 7th
Dull dissonance
- major 2nd, minor 7th
Consonant "Roman"
- perfect 5th
Consonant "Oriental"
- perfect 4th