PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones True tone low pitch alto

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
I was looking through preloved after a case for my alto and came across a true tone alto for sale £400 in Nottingham just wondering if this is to good to be true as the horn looks in good condition although it does have 2 small holes were a microphone was added ???? Just wondered what you guys think

Let me begin by saying I'm not familiar with the market in the UK, but this price is a bit on the high end in the U.S. In the past 90 days the average True Tone alto on Ebay sold for $264 (£164). Most in top condition with new pads sold between $400 - $500 (£250 - £310). I'm not sure if the market across the pond for these is more or less, but they seem to be plentiful over here. Of course the Buescher Top Hat and Cane models in good condition command the highest prices up to $1,500 (£930).

Let me begin by saying I'm not familiar with the market in the UK, but this price is a bit on the high end in the U.S. In the past 90 days the average True Tone alto on Ebay sold for $264 (£164). Most in top condition with new pads sold between $400 - $500 (£250 - £310). I'm not sure if the market across the pond for these is more or less, but they seem to be plentiful over here. Of course the Buescher Top Hat and Cane models in good condition command the highest prices up to $1,500 (£930).
. Cheers for your reply I have been looking at sax quest in the us for a horn and they are a fair bit cheaper I would think the shipping may cost a bit I will probably buy from a shop as it is safer :)

. Cheers for your reply I have been looking at sax quest in the us for a horn and they are a fair bit cheaper I would think the shipping may cost a bit I will probably buy from a shop as it is safer :)

Don't foget customs duty/VAT. Makes a big difference.

Depends on condition. These are great horns - I've got one - with a lovely tone. Not as plentiful here as in the US, so prices will be a bit higher. To be honest, in my experience it's not worth importing saxes from the US due to customs and VAT. If it is really in good codition, £400 for a fine vintage sax is good value.

One thing to watch out for is the ergonomics are not great. If you have large hands you will find the palm keys very low.

Jon

I don't like the snap-on system, and they are also hard to find. I have modern pads on my old TT's. Another thing to consider if you are going to buy an old Beuscher.

Don't foget customs duty/VAT. Makes a big difference.

Yes, but you can fly out to USA with a good case and a eropean horn to trade in or sell. You declare for the difference amount and pays the duties between your "old sax and your new" sax. I have done this a couples of times. But I have never travel to USA with empty flight cases!

I suppose the unscrupulous could take a case with a knackered chinese in for "Playing a few gigs when over there" and return with a classic 10M , Zephyr, TH&C or whatever and 'saynuttin' - left with a sax, returned with a sax, how many custom officials wil open the case in both directions and say "Hmmm, there was a Flying Dodo brand Chinese sax in there with half the keys bent but now there`s a Conn 10M " so long as its not full of pot or a concealing a firearm they`ll pass it by.

I suppose the unscrupulous could take a case with a knackered chinese in for "Playing a few gigs when over there" and return with a classic 10M , Zephyr, TH&C or whatever and 'saynuttin' - left with a sax, returned with a sax, how many custom officials wil open the case in both directions and say "Hmmm, there was a Flying Dodo brand Chinese sax in there with half the keys bent but now there`s a Conn 10M " so long as its not full of pot or a concealing a firearm they`ll pass it by.

yes, but we'd never condone or recommend that on this forum.

It's hard to know how many, but would certainly include the guy at Gatwick who stopped my friend with a $2000 trumpet coming in from New York, confiscated the horn and fined him. The customs had catalogue a of all instrument retail prices.

Putting it in a beat up case would only make you look guiltier as it would be obvious you were trying to hide the fact that you are smuggling.

So, the bottom line is that you're better off buying locally, in so many respects.

Of course all duty/VAT should be paid. But I still think to import a sax yourself is a good way to get your dreamhorn. But to do bargains it must be from a private seller. Play before you decide if it's the right horn for you. And pay cash.

The TT in Nottingham can be a good sax but play before you go further. And don't förget that these old TT's kave a nice and sweet tone but maybe not the tone/sound that you need in contemporary music Just my own personal opinion ;}

A good warning Pete - I`d not do it myself as I`d always be the one to get caught, and that £2000 trumpet of your mates was taking the mick a bit :ashamed- I`ll stick to buying within Europe both for carriage charges and the import business. also easier to deal with if it all goes pearshaped

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got to take risks sometimes or life becomes boring!

A good warning Pete - I`d not do it myself as I`d always be the one to get caught, and that £2000 trumpet of your mates was taking the mick a bit :ashamed-

Your allowance is £390 worth of items (not including the normal duty free alcohol, cigs, perfume etc.). Unless you come in on a private plane, in which case you can only carry £270 worth.

So if you are bringing in a Truetone alto, my advice is not to hire a private jet, as customs might just estimate it at £275.

The TT in Nottingham can be a good sax but play before you go further. And don't förget that these old TT's kave a nice and sweet tone but maybe not the tone/sound that you need in contemporary music Just my own personal opinion ;}

Maybe, but I find them pretty flexible and easy going with mouthpieces, which gives a lot of versatility. I tend to play mine with a Yanagisawa metal, which is very good with it. I've also used my Oleg Maestro, which is a real high baffle screamer with mine and it plays well, and in tune. Loads of body as well.

I tried a true tone out the other day at howarths it was priced at nearly £700 it was a nice horn played all the way through really clean and had a good feel to the keys despite the pearl G# key they have a lot of character . I had just been to sax.co.uk and tried a rampone r1 jazz and I did not think it was as nice as this old horn . Then I tried a beautiful cigar cutter and love it so for the first time I think I might start looking at selmer as an option the cigar cutter felt very comfy under my fingers and had a warm tone to it very attractive to look at very deep honey like finish and they look like their built to last :)

I tried a true tone out the other day at howarths it was priced at nearly £700 it was a nice horn played all the way through really clean and had a good feel to the keys despite the pearl G# key they have a lot of character . I had just been to sax.co.uk and tried a rampone r1 jazz and I did not think it was as nice as this old horn . Then I tried a beautiful cigar cutter and love it so for the first time I think I might start looking at selmer as an option the cigar cutter felt very comfy under my fingers and had a warm tone to it very attractive to look at very deep honey like finish and they look like their built to last :)

That price is not too bad, considering it is sold in a shop, but those TT (I and II) are less desirable than the others (III and IV) because of the lack of the front F and the button G#.

Try to find a later TT. Cigar cutters (or other similar Selmers without that particular octave mechanism which puts them under the cigar cutters) are very nice too, bur generally more expensive.

So, the bottom line is that you're better off buying locally, in so many respects.

for any of you in the UK, as long as it lasts :) buy in the EU (and on this site, hence benefiting the charity and the members), no import duty or VAT is levied on sales within the European union. Which is why I prefer buying all sorts of things, if at all possible, in the EU (not out misplaced inter-nationalism!)

Back
Top Bottom