support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Trevor James - CS Raw Tenor

Chris98

I've never been that interested in trying out other saxophones, I wish I could say the same about mouthpieces! I've occasionally had a curiously about something other than my chosen horns but never enough to go anywhere to try one out. But I've just read Mr. Howard's review of the Trevor James Custom Signature Raw Tenor and have just felt a compelling desire to have a go on one! But I dare not, what if I like it?

Anyone come across one yet?

Best wishes,

Chris

Try it. Always good to know what's out there. Who knows, it may confirm that you're playing the right horn. But it might also open up new horizons...>:)

Is there any cure for GAS?

I was down at Steve Howard's place yesterday and he was telling me great things about the RAW. I know it's a personal thing, but I find this style of finish just plain ugly. When the sax can look so lovely, why deliberately make it look brown and old ?

Rhys

We've got one in Crowborough... really lovely horn, I'd happily swap it for my Mauriat if i was feeling a bit Gassy...

Hi Kev,

It's a passing phase, I'll be over it soon... yep, I just checked my bank balance, I'm over it :crying:

Hi Rhys,

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I've never been too keen on this 'old and haggard' look either, it was the description of the sound and construction details that piqued my curiosity.

I do admit to on occasion standing in front of a mirror when playing, not you understand out of any vanity... no... the bathroom has wonderful acoustics, okay moving swiftly on... Normally I can't see my sax so I always reckoned to go with a finish that will at least attempt to protect, what is quite a considerable investment for the years to come. Why this look is in vogue at the moment is beyond me, my saxes are in the standard gold lacquered finish and will hopefully age with grace over the many years I hope to be playing them.

Talking about investment, is anyone else staggered by the increase in price of saxes over the last three years, if I were to buy my tenor now it would cost me one and a half times what I paid for it less than three years ago!

Best wishes,

Chris

We've got one in Crowborough... really lovely horn, I'd happily swap it for my Mauriat if i was feeling a bit Gassy...

Hi Jules

Just as I thought I was getting over it, you had to go and say that, the Mauriat has been the only other sax that I've wanted to try!

All the best,

Chris

Hi Jules

Just as I thought I was getting over it, you had to go and say that, the Mauriat has been the only other sax that I've wanted to try!

All the best,

Chris
A TJ Raw vs a Mauiat 66R makes an interesting play off.... Verdicts out on the winner but they're both great horns.......

It weights 3.5kg, well, is it lighter or heavier than normal saxes??

It weights 3.5kg, well, is it lighter or heavier than normal saxes??
On paper its pretty standard weight but they feel pretty big and chunky under the fingers... bit like a Keilwerth in that respect

They look nice.A guy i know had a Sig custom rose gold with solid silver neck tenor but he sent it back,it was the older version and i thought it was rather canny.Loved the build on it.

I have one at Studio Saxophones if anyone wants to try it,great horn up there with the best of them check out my website for details.

I was down at Steve Howard's place yesterday and he was telling me great things about the RAW. I know it's a personal thing, but I find this style of finish just plain ugly. When the sax can look so lovely, why deliberately make it look brown and old ?

Rhys

It is really astute to get a saxophone that is less attractive than your wife........................ I would imagine;}

Anyone come across one yet?

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I tried the Alto a while back and it was great too, really great.
As good as it was I couldn't get over attaching a higher end price to a TJ which is unfair but that was my mentality on the spot.
I did enquire about the tenor which they said they could get but then I made a conscious effort to steer clear of any more saxes for a while.
I also had it as my outside bet when Mr P.T. posted the guessing game about what new sax he had fallen for when he bought his 'Two Voices'.

Back
Top Bottom