support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Thoughts on Eastman 52nd street

Thinking of getting the Eastman tenor and am curious if anyone has any thoughts or cautionary tales before I commit myself to one,all opinions welcome
Nice sound, very easy to play in the low register, strange altissimo ("Selmer" fingerings didn't work for me), wonderful case.
Looks beautiful. Starts to rattle after some weeks of playing.
Sold mine after 3 months.

Cheers, Guenne

It's worth pointing out that Eastman changed the 52nd street design a bit recently, when they moved the production from a Taiwan factory to their own plant in China.
The new design is said to be more in the "Mark VI" spirit instead of the previous "vintage American" style. They play differently.

I tried the Eastman 52nd Street tenor a few times when I was looking for a new horn. I remember not being overly impressed but couldn't really remember why. A quick search found my post from one of the test days:

I've since bought an MKX and don't regret that decision for a second. I would say that this suggests I don't have a 'normal' taste in saxes. ;) Guenne's final line says a lot in so few words, though.

But if you can you should go out of your way to physically play one and make a decision based on that. If I'd listened to the internet I would probably never have got the Keilwerth.

Hmm, just realised that your question may have nothing to do with any of the above and is in fact a build quality question, in which case I'll shut up now... :oops:

It's worth pointing out that Eastman changed the 52nd street design a bit recently, when they moved the production from a Taiwan factory to their own plant in China.
The new design is said to be more in the "Mark VI" spirit instead of the previous "vintage American" style. They play differently.
Here's a summary of the changes: The Beast From The East

There was a thread about it on saxontheweb.

I’ve been playing a 52nd St tenor for over two years now. Once I had it set up the way I like my saxes it’s performed flawlessly. I have no issues with noise from the action or the mechanics, it’s been the lowest maintenance horn I’ve ever owned. I really like the adjustable palm keys and the sound. I like the 52nd street series so much I’ve picked up a bari, alto and soprano. I bought my tenor and alto new, the Bari and Sop I bought used. So far I really enjoy these models.

Back
Top Bottom