support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The Jew and the Nazi sax

I thought the from the thread title it was going to be a witty tale:

The Jew and the Nazi sax walked into a bar mitzvah ............

Yep. I originally thought it was a huller or other German horn. It feels, weighs the same as a truetone tenor but the microtuner and brace mean it's not so straight forward.@milandro would know if he still frequents the forum
@milandro does pop in occasionally :)

Jx

Yep. I originally thought it was a huller or other German horn. It feels, weighs the same as a truetone tenor but the microtuner and brace mean it's not so straight forward.@milandro would know if he still frequents the forum

The bell to body bracing is seen in a great many horns from the German-speaking regions of Europe. Max Keilwerth used them--and he even used them in his Hohner Presidents later on.

I can't think of all the different brands that used them. I have a lot of them illustrated in the Bassic Sax Pix if you are interested in going through the galleries and checking for yourself. (I am just in the middle of doing a bunch of research on B&S, othewise I'd do it for you.)

Thanks for the offer! Gladly would do that and at the same update my own website too (haven't had time to do that :) )
It would be great to work with you on this.

I totally get the lack of time thing. I just fell down the rabbit hole of updating my B&S pages... I still need to start practicing today. My bass sax is calling. ;)

hello, since my name was mentioned, here I am , it looks indeed Bohemian , that bell to body brace together with the microtuner was used on the Kohlert 1926 model that model also carries the “ conn” mercedes benz guard, it has the Button G sharp too.

On Sax pics they only have an alto snot split bell but that is the only difference

7748984-aa00-016901E2-.jpg
7748975-1112-01800200-.jpg
7748986-0fa0-01E20169-.jpg

@milandro .it seems very close, thanks for the information. As you say the only real difference is the split bell key's.
I have a vision that my horn was perhaps a Kriegsmarine band instrument.
I've called it my "Kohlert truetone thingy" for years. It's pads were originally white kid skin with no resonator.

Last edited:
I am not sure why you think this was a German Marine horn. The Fact that there is nothing on it on it to identify it as such says nothing about its “ provenance” , it is an unmarked saxophone of at least a decade prior to the war that is sure, the rest is, sorry to say, just a guess.

I am not sure why you think this was a German Marine horn. The Fact that there is nothing on it on it to identify it as such says nothing about its “ provenance” , it is an unmarked saxophone of at least a decade prior to the war that is sure, the rest is, sorry to say, just a guess.
Of course It's the fact that it has absolutely no markings or provenance that allows me that indulgence.

Thanks though. I don't want to hijack this great thread any further on a daft whim .

I think it's a kohlert made sax. I had a "The Popular" tenor and it looked like yours. Kohlert had very flat keycups.

Klingsor (Hammerschmidt) engraving gives me "nazi vibes". But built in 1956 in Baviaria, West Germany.
klingsorgravyr[1].JPG

Besides the bell to body brace, look at the shapes of the key guards. Kohlert used it on certain models, as did F.X. Hüller on some of their own horns, as well as on some of their stencils. Other brands used this style of key guard as well.