support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The Blessing

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
I played at the Shambala festival yesterday and the band who followed us were absolutely jaw-dropping. The Blessing consist of Portishead's drummer, electric bass, sax player (mostly tenor and a bit of baritone) and trumpet.... the sound- pigbag, massive attack, ornette coleman & don cherry, a sort on minimalist disonant take on funk, some gorgeous interplay between the horns (these guys didn't really solo in the normal sense-it was more a case of weaving round each other's lines- with occassional big riffs- mostly in slightly spiky, Mingus-ish harmony), all done with enormous, almost punky energy and great musicianship... they're compelling to watch too.
We of Fat45 were officially wowed! highly recommended....
nice to see that on our stage the entire evening's line up of bands were horn based- an east european gypsy brass band, a fela Kuti-ish afro beat crew, a ska outfit, fat45 and the blessing.... much honkage was had.

These guys are my old buddies from my Bristol days - great players. Jake McMurchie, the sax player, used to be a dep for a gig I used to do in the midlands. When the band went off for a week's residency in Barcelona, they took him instead of me!

Moral : never put a dep in who is a better player than you!

He's a great player and a great guy, very unassuming.

These guys are my old buddies from my Bristol days - great players. Jake McMurchie, the sax player, used to be a dep for a gig I used to do in the midlands. When the band went off for a week's residency in Barcelona, they took him instead of me!

Moral : never put a dep in who is a better player than you!

He's a great player and a great guy, very unassuming.
seemed an affable bloke backstage..... and a monster player....

Back
Top Bottom